The Knock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garjenkins

Hello there,

Im a new cyclist, I've recently started commuting in London (24 miles a day) andwas recently talking to my wifes grandfather - a keen cycler and clubman around the Grimsby area in his day. He was saying that any cyclist worth his salt has heard of and experienced the knock.

I have spoken to a couple of other northerners who had heard of it, but no one down south Ive asked has............

Is the Knock a northern phenomena? A grimsby phenomena? Or does everyone know what it is?

answers on a post card!:smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
The Bonk?

Wish you were here. Having lovely weather. Food is good - the locals know how to serve a good steak and chips. None of the undercooked rubbish that you get in France. Learning a few words of Spanish. Si means Yes. Beer is cheap, and you can get Watneys Red Barrel here too if you want.

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

He described it like a Cyclists "hitting the wall" times a thousand.So tired you'd eat anything and rather die than pedal any further...

I'd prefer a Bonk to a Knock......are they the same thing?

postman

Legendary Member
Don't ever get caught out .
My mate got it last summer .We were on our way back from Bridlington .
And i must say we were flying .And i don't often brag .
But getting into York ,he started to flag .I did not pick up on it .Til it was too late .We were in the middle of nowhere .He got off his bike and was stumbling around .On off on off .It was a nightmare .
I pushed both our bikes for a while .
Finally got him to Thorner and filled him up with cake and cereal bars .
A quick but not entirely fool proof way .But did get him home .

OP
OP
G

Garjenkins

He made it sound like a badge of honour......I suppose it is.

Caused by what? cycling too far/fast and not eating enough?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If some one ever says to you "I think I might have bonked" or "I might have got the Knock" or "I think I just met 'The Man with the Hammer'" or "I think I hit the wall"... they didn't!

It's one of those things that there isn't much room for discussion about. You don't discuss whether a headless body is dead or whether a human will ever run at 300 mph.

The Bonk isn't subtle. Given the choice of a one million pound lottery win or a Mars Bar and a can of Coca Cola, the bonked, knocked, hammered wall collision victim would go for the sugar rush any time! ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If some one ever says to you "I think I might have bonked" or "I might have got the Knock" or "I think I just met 'The Man with the Hammer'" or "I think I hit the wall"... they didn't!

It's one of those things that there isn't much room for discussion about. You don't discuss whether a headless body is dead or whether a human will ever run at 300 mph.

The Bonk isn't subtle. Given the choice of a one million pound lottery win or a Mars Bar and a can of Coca Cola, the bonked, knocked, hammered wall collision victim would go for the sugar rush any time! ;)

zizou

Veteran
Garjenkins said:
He made it sound like a badge of honour......I suppose it is.

Caused by what? cycling too far/fast and not eating enough?

It is the depletion of glycogen stores in the muscles.

It is something more than just alot of fatigue and tiredness, it can be pretty scary. I've never bonked when cycling before but had it once when i was about 16 doing hard swim training (something which is unusual i think, its usually running or cycling it seems to happen with). I had to be rescued as i couldnt keep my head above the water, couldnt move without cramping up badly. Slept for 27 hours after that and it was at least a week before i felt fit enough again to get back in the pool ;)

Top Bottom