The Macc Monster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not sure if anyone else rode this today. As its name suggests it was a monster. 250ish riders, just over 100k and all hilly between 6 and 7000 ft of climbing. A very hard ride but thoroughly enjoyable never the less. Two guys I know, who started dnf. Saw two riders come off their bikes as a result of cramp, I started to suffer with cramp in my left thigh over the last 20k despite taking on isotonic drinks and electrolyte drinks throughout the ride.
Well signposted and well organised. One for the diary next year if you likes hills! The same guys do the Peak 100 in the spring as well. All in aid of a worthwhile charity.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I will do this ride.

At least you have a triple. There is no chance my shoulder will do this on a 39 inner.

How was it / ride / feeds etc. Looks fine to me, and know folk that were doing it (as well as you mate) !

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I had planned to

but I have had a stinking cold for the best part of 10 days now, so backed out last night when it was clear I would have been stupid!

Bit gutted TBH

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

I will do this ride.

At least you have a triple. There is no chance my shoulder will do this on a 39 inner.

How was it / ride / feeds etc. Looks fine to me, and know folk that were doing it (as well as you mate) !

Excellent feedstation 30 miles in and a refreshment stop about 15 miles from the end, Andy from Peak Cyclesport had provided a huge variety of gels, powders, energy bars etc there were malt loaf, water, juices, bannanas etc as well. Plus free hot food and drinks at the end. They even offered you stuff before you set off.
The ride was good, first bit I knew well, took in the Brickworks and Windgatherer as the first couple of climbs, after that it was more out towards Leek far side of Buxton which I don't know as well. Couple of hard climbs and some remote single track roads over cattle grids, through areas I don't know well, some cracking high speed decents as well. Some mad scenery too. I struggled across the moor from the back of Harpur Hill to the Cat was on my own for a quite a bit of that, with cramp, high winds and rain I had to dig deep.
Yes was very glad of the triple but a compact would have done the job as well, wouldn't fancy it on a 39.

Paul_L

Über Member
i did this. On a compact which was fine but i have a 28 on the back. I'd have struggled on a 25. Didn't know the area at all, so the hills were all new to me. Great course, well organised, perfectly signed and well stocked feed stations.

The last main climb (Axe Edge ??) took it out of me completely. Every time you think the climbing is done, there's a false summit and another kick up. Must have been 4 miles of continuous climbing, mostly with cross winds.

Some great descents as well though.

Loved the cheesy chip butty at the end mind!

I'll do this again next year.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

i did this. On a compact which was fine but i have a 28 on the back. I'd have struggled on a 25. Didn't know the area at all, so the hills were all new to me. Great course, well organised, perfectly signed and well stocked feed stations.

The last main climb (Axe Edge ??) took it out of me completely. Every time you think the climbing is done, there's a false summit and another kick up. Must have been 4 miles of continuous climbing, mostly with cross winds.

Some great descents as well though.

Loved the cheesy chip butty at the end mind!

I'll do this again next year.

Thorncliffe was the one that caught me out with a left turn in the village and a short really steep section and then about three miles of false summits. about 38 to 40 miles in, proper test when we were that far in.

Paul_L

Über Member
Thorncliffe was the one that caught me out with a left turn in the village and a short really steep section and then about three miles of false summits. about 38 to 40 miles in, proper test when we were that far in.

Is that the one that goes by the stockcar stadium? If so, that was one i was referring to.

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Is that the one that goes by the stockcar stadium? If so, that was one i was referring to.

Thorncliffe is the one before Buxton Raceway with the long descent, Axe Edge is the one just after it and goes across the main road where the photographer was, who I could swear was smirking at everyone struggling past him in the high wind and driving rain. I will be interested to see how knackered I look on that photo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll put this on the list for next year - I need a compact first (and a bike to fit it to) ;)

potsy

Rambler
I intend to do it next year too & as I'm such a good friend , I'll even let you domestique for me :smile: :smile: :smile:

OI!! He's domestiquing for me, get your own pace maker
tongue.gif

Top Bottom