The many benefits of leaving the EU.

Oldhippy

Über Member
The animals would probably disagree I would imagine if they had a choice though.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You got a website, mudsticks?
Yes, but I don't sell meat I'm afraid.

I'm mostly veg n eggs.

I used to raise pigs but havent done for a few years now.

Lots of other good farmers do direct sales via 'meat boxes' though.

You get a reasonable price, the finest quality meat, from a trustworthy source, the producer gets all the return to keep on farming well.

If that doesn't suit you, then some supermarkets, or quality butchers sell it.

You'll pay a bit more, the producer will get less return.

But still better than cheap imports from unknown provenance, and uncertain welfare standards. :okay:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The animals would probably disagree I would imagine if they had a choice though.
Well I respect anyone's right to be vegetarian or indeed vegan for their own personal reasons.

I was a veggie for about 15 years of my life.
Now I'm a conscious omnivore.

My farm is infested with vegans, who are quite happy looking after the happy hens here.

But for people who are going to eat meat, UK, grass fed, and preferably organic is the best way to go.

Most of these animals wouldn't exist in the first place if they weren't farmed.

But, good grazing regimes, sequester carbon into deep rooted swards, and are a part of our evolved ecosystems, and support our native wildlife..
From bugs upwards..

And are part of our landscape, especially in areas mainly suited to growing grass.

By buying direct from the producer, who will more often than not, use smaller more local abattoirs the welfare is higher, the stress on the animal far less.

Livestock are an essential part of our mixed farming systems and can be a highly ethical choice, as opposed to imported monocropped products of industrial ag, such as almonds, avocados, or coconut.

However all intensive, industrialised feed-lot, animal ag, is pants for everyone.

Imo no one should be buying or eating that stuff - if they can avoid it.

Here endeth the shortish sermon on ethical meat eating :rolleyes:.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Margaret Thatcher predicts . . . in 1992 addressing CNN World Economic Development Conference
Remarkably accurate, Cassandra like, and yet to play out in its entirety. Easy 2 minute watch/listen.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dEp4V1zCvA

Last edited:

JBGooner

Thatcher was in favour of free markets - unlike the EU - and against monetary union and against a European super state.
If she had remained in power the UK would probably have left the EC/EU a couple of decades before or, at best, the UK would have been very detached 'member'.

JBGooner

Car insurance premiums not to go up by another £50 quid.

"British motorists have been saved from a potential £50 increase to their driver’s insurance, after the government announced it would scrap the EU’s requirement for coverage on vehicles used on private land. The European Court of Justice’s “Vnuk” decision – which mandated insurance for vehicles such as quad bikes, golf buggies, and mobility scooters – will be ditched by the Department for Transport “at the earliest possible opportunity”, as the UK moves to create its own new legislation away from EU orbit. The “Vnuk” ruling would have made insurance companies liable for an extra £2 billion in coverage costs, which would inevitably have been passed on to customers…

Calling the decision “a clear win for motorists in Britain”, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said:
“We have always disagreed with this over-the-top law that would only do one thing – hit the pockets of hard-working people up and down the country with an unnecessary hike in their car insurance. I am delighted to announce that we no longer need to implement it.
“Scrapping this rule would save the country billions of pounds and is part of a new and prosperous future for the UK outside the EU – a future in which we set our own rules and regulations.”

https://order-order.com/

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
Car insurance premiums not to go up by another £50 quid.

"British motorists have been saved from a potential £50 increase to their driver’s insurance, after the government announced it would scrap the EU’s requirement for coverage on vehicles used on private land. The European Court of Justice’s “Vnuk” decision – which mandated insurance for vehicles such as quad bikes, golf buggies, and mobility scooters – will be ditched by the Department for Transport “at the earliest possible opportunity”, as the UK moves to create its own new legislation away from EU orbit. The “Vnuk” ruling would have made insurance companies liable for an extra £2 billion in coverage costs, which would inevitably have been passed on to customers…

Calling the decision “a clear win for motorists in Britain”, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said:
“We have always disagreed with this over-the-top law that would only do one thing – hit the pockets of hard-working people up and down the country with an unnecessary hike in their car insurance. I am delighted to announce that we no longer need to implement it.
“Scrapping this rule would save the country billions of pounds and is part of a new and prosperous future for the UK outside the EU – a future in which we set our own rules and regulations.”

https://order-order.com/
I wonder if there is any evidence that 'we have always disagreed with this law'? Any previous mention of it? Any attempts to change it when we were members?

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
I wonder if there is any evidence that 'we have always disagreed with this law'? Any previous mention of it? Any attempts to change it when we were members?
OK I had a brief look and Shapps is banging on about the potential effect on the motorsport industry. However... the EU had already voted to exclude motorsport from the legislation, subject to member state approval.

Top Bottom