The Miracle that is drafting!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trumpettom001

Maintained a nifty 28mph going up a gentle hill today for a good couple minutes today, drafting a spud van on my MTB..... I did the same thing on the way home from a friends house a couple nights ago but, drafting a police car (32mph for 3 mins)..... possibly a bit iffy I don't know..., but the guys in the car were just laughing...

lukesdad

Not recommended.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just don't draft a fast tractor after a long ride, especially one that is pulling a trailer of manure......good idea at the time....not when you got home....stunk like pig poo........

markg0vbr

Über Member
i got pulled over by a motorcycle cop drafting a skip waggon, he was going on about riding close up to a vehicle is dangerous:bicycle:. i pointed out he was not that bothered when a bloke in a BMW went past me far two close and fast:cursing:, just before i got in behind the lorry. i think he was Bord and just wonted to piss some one off.

MajorMantra

If you know the road really well (potholes etc.) and leave yourself an escape route by keeping to the side, then drafting shouldn't be too dangerous. And it is fun...

Matthew

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

Of course, I do listen to the revs of whatever it is I'm drafting - and so far have only done it on roads that I'm familiar with..... Re potholes: I'm on a MTB as I said, and here in leamington, there aren't really any potholes, (although I'm not suggesting that the road is at all smooth)

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
don't waste time drafting a tractor, aim high young man, aim high ;)...

06042009_fastestbike.jpg

Tynan

Veteran
engine note ain't going to help you when they hit the brakes unexpectedly, you want to go that fast with no escape route, fill your boots, not me

Twiggy

Trumpettom001 said:
Re potholes: I'm on a MTB as I said, and here in leamington, there aren't really any potholes, (although I'm not suggesting that the road is at all smooth)

I dunno, there might not be many around leam, but the ones that are around are right nasty.

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

Tynan, do remember I'm on a MTB, so I've got those un-nesscecary hyraulic disk brakes, I've also got the brake lights of the bus to indicate when to slow down...
Although many thanks for the warning!

Tynan

Veteran
I wasn't talking down to you, promise

in my experience, the brakes never get used in a proper accident, perhaps you don't draft as closely as I assume

Top Bottom