The next Tory leader

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Yellow Fang, 31 May 2019.

?
  1. Boris Johnson

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. Dominic Raab

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Michael Gove

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Andrea Leadsom

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Jeremy Hunt

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. Rory Stewart

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Matt Hancock or James Cleverley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Esther McVey or Sajid Javid

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Kit Malthouse or Mark Harper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. A.N. Other

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Archie_tect

Archie_tect De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold

They're both so equally inept and dangerous to have in any public office, I find it difficult to imagine a worse position for the UK to be in... life mimicking fiction ['Years']

Unkraut and Dec66 like this.
  2. Unkraut

Unkraut Master of the Inane Comment

I haven't yet read a paperback on China (making me a world's leading authority on the country, its culture institutions and history), but I wonder if the Chinese have entirely forgotten the humiliation heaped on them in the days of the British Empire? The opium wars etc. A long time ago now, but sometimes these things fester on in the popular imagination.

3. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

Our best hope for a GE and 2nd referendum remains Johnson. Hunt may be given a chance and has already proved he's totally useless with the NHS.

4. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

I tend to agree - Boris as the worst for the Tory party and hence the best for the country. As you say, Boris doesn't have even the faint air of competence that Hunt manages to convey.

5. Unkraut

I remember my dad saying something similar when they brought the ban in in the first place. Strange priorities.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  6. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

I doubt whether it is anywhere on Hunt's personal list of priorities.

He knows it is probably the sort of thing that is quite high on the list of around 160,000 people, together with blue passports.

7. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Except he's gone to ground over the issue....

Traditional Tories were horrified when Labour passed a foxhunting ban, and amongst party members repeal is almost certainly a popular cause. But amongst the public at large the prospect of the law being changed to legalise a sport that involves dogs tearing foxes to pieces is toxic. During the 2017 general election campaign the Conservatives were surprised when what they thought was a tame restatement of their 2015 election position (allowing a free vote on repeal) became a major issue of social media, mobilising many voters to support anti-Tory candidates. Hunt is pitching himself as the leadership candidate most able to win an election for the party by appealing to floating voters, and so having this around his neck was a problem. One Tory MP backing Hunt described it as “political suicide”.

And so this morning Hunt clarified his position. Without entirely retracting what he told the Telegraph, he said the law on foxhunting would not change because he could not envisage there ever being a majority in favour in the Commons. Asked about what he said to the Telegraph, he told the Today programme:​

Well, I think this is just because I was giving a straight answer to a straight question. But the law is not going to change on fox hunting. There isn’t a majority in the House of Commons, and I don’t see there ever being one. I was just restating the position in our manifesto from 2017 that there should be a free vote if it ever looked like that majority would change. But it would not be my priority as prime minister.​

Hunt’s analysis is probably correct. Almost all the MPs in the Commons who support foxhunting are Conservatives, but there are plenty of Tories who would vote against repeal of the ban and the working assumption amongst campaigners is that there would have to be a very large Conservative majority in the Commons for the restoration of foxhunting to have any chance of passing.​

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  8. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

I'd say it's all Bread & Circuses but most circuses are foreign nowadays so they'll not be keen on letting them in after Brexit.

So just bread then.

9. Unkraut

Post-Brexit it will have to be cake for most people ...

C R likes this.
  10. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Or dry, wholemeal Hovis

11. Dec66

Dec66 A gentlemanly pootler, these days

Or hardtack.

12. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

From the Guardian's live feed, reporting on Johnson:
    upload_2019-7-4_19-53-18.png

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Kajjal, C R, deptfordmarmoset and 2 others like this.
  13. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

Johnson is committing the longest, loudest suicide note in Tory history. Meanwhile, Labour is doing something similar with soft, flushable paper.

C R likes this.
  14. C R

C R Über Member

I think you missed a few thousand emojis.

Spinney likes this.
  15. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Depends on what the brief was, deepening private sector involvement is the tory way...... Make it look bad enough that it 'just had to have private involvement'

deptfordmarmoset likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice