The Poppy "Fascists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Anyone else notice an unnerving amount of people making comments about forcing people to wear a Poppy, or being quite brisk about "wheres YOUR poppy!?" I've heard in person and seen it online, online you kind of think its just people being stupid or attention seeking.. but in person its a little weird.

I say weird because those that died did indeed die so that we would be free. Is that not right? I mean come on, if we forced everyone to wear a poppy we're surely missing the point. I've always popped a couple of quid in the cans of the poppy people in the city centre or outside the supermarket, although I havent worn a poppy for years.

How do we know these vocal protagonists havent just been reusing the same poppy year after year? ;)

darkstar

I think it's a brilliant way of people uniting to show support for the armed forces.

Last year I think I gave money to 3 different poppy sellers, but only collected 1 poppy. The year before I gave to 3 or 4 collectors but didn't take any poppies. This year I've only seen 1 collector and got a poppy.

I'd agree though it's wrong to have a go at people for not displaying one.

buggi

Bird Saviour
why would you want to pay and then not wear one?

it's a bit more than just donating to a charity isn't? it's about publicly showing your support not only for those that have fallen, but also for those who are out there at the moment.

ultimately, it is the person's choice but if you support the cause, why not publicly show it?

i suppose also you could argue the point of freedom of speech? perhaps those people who ask you feel they have a the freedom of speech to do it?

Partly because I think I personally don't feel I need to show a public display all the time. I know I've contributed and that's good enough for me. Also (from a selfish point of view) because sometimes I don't want to have a pin going through clothes.

For example the poppy I bought last week went onto a suit because I happened to be wearing one then, although most days I don't. I haven't transferred the poppy onto other clothes though, and so haven't displayed the poppy since.

Arch

Married to Night Train

If I wore one doing the recyling job, it would get very grotty and mangled very quickly, assuming it didn't get pulled off everytime I lifted a heavy box against my chest. And I don't want to pin one on my waterproof and put a hole in it. I wore it today, because I was at the other job, and wearing a fleece I could pin it to.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

it's a bit more than just donating to a charity isn't? it's about publicly showing your support not only for those that have fallen, but also for those who are out there at the moment.

ultimately, it is the person's choice but if you support the cause, why not publicly show it?

You might not want to live in a more militarised society. It seems a bit of a simplistic view saying this, even some people in other countries who are heavily supportive of the military think it wrong to make 'public' displays in some spheres.

Arch

Married to Night Train
The concept of putting the poppy and fascism together is quite ridiculous, bad taste much?

I don't think so. I think downfader was just highlighting that some people can seem to do the right thing for the wrong reasons, and that the freedom so many fought for is also the freedom to not wear a poppy.

One of my colleagues, for example, wears a white peace poppy - that's his choice, and fair enough. It's not a statement I'd make, but his is the right to make it.

Also, the word fascists was in inverted commas, implying a certain hesitancy about the term.

Few reasons really.

I believe charity should be done in a way that you take personal pleasure, and not praise. Charity should be private and done through feeling a certain way about a certain cause, and not through wanting to show that you've given to charity.

Won't post the other as it's controversial and the world should be about peace, not war.

gbb

Legendary Member
And then there's the other nasty side of the coin.
My son (who TBH) has never shown any inclination to wear before, but is currently working with ex servicemen, so i assume its rubbed off on him. Anyway, he want to wear one so fair play.
He was saying tonight, one of his supervisors is from Northern Ireland...and he's been really funny today with the guys who are wearing poppies, nothing overt, but very dismissive, out of his normal character.
They came to the conclusion hes a nationalist, anti British. Its the only conclusion they could come to.

Bigotted i'd call it. I hope he doesnt sleep tonight if he's that uptight :biggrin:

Top Bottom