The Post-Brexit Thread

Mr Celine

Discordian
A small investment with the Conservative party should secure the deal. Good work.
But remember @screenman and wait until you've been awarded the contract before paying up on your 'investment'.
£100m seems about the going rate at the moment for an IT system so expect to pay about £25k to the party plus a slap up dinner for the relevant minister.
And as no one expects the IT system will do what it's supposed to you don't even need to do any work on it at all.

raleighnut

Guru
But remember @screenman and wait until you've been awarded the contract before paying up on your 'investment'.
£100m seems about the going rate at the moment for an IT system so expect to pay about £25k to the party plus a slap up dinner for the relevant minister.
And as no one expects the IT system will do what it's supposed to you don't even need to do any work on it at all.
Can you still get European Union Buisiness development grants or will you have to rely on interns to do the work/make the Tea/fill the office up with (socially distanced) staff.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Oooh.. does that involve leather and stuff? -:tongue: asking for a friend

Indirectly yes :okay:

You can make shoes, and other leather goods, out of the hides of pasture raised livestock :rolleyes:

If you can’t understand that mass migration of labour drops wages thus living standards then that’s not my problem.
I was joking when I said to @Mugshot that Brexit supporters don't need to substantiate their claims, not suggesting a debate strategy. Especially when you joined the conversation harrumphing about "unsubstantiated sources".

If migration (I'll leave the "mass" as that never happened in the UK) is such a problem, why doesn't Germany struggle with it? Maybe it's because we have stronger unions and it means that everyone, German and "foreign" can use collective bargaining.

Last edited:
I don’t know that because I don’t have Twitter. I also do not know anyone with a holiday home abroad as I’m working class.
I'm working class by most definitions, in fact I inadvertently became the Tory poster child for a "good" working class kid, who "got on my bike and looked for work"; went out into the big wide world and got a job. Then then I got an apprenticeship which wasn't available in the UK to the same level, and certainly not paid, and then got more qualifications, also not available free in the UK, to get the job I now have.*

This is the other problem the UK has: A trained workforce is a secure workforce. The UK hasn't been investing in training people for decades, then it becomes a problem, not because of migrants but because it leads to low paid and insecure jobs, and the same governments blamed the convenient scapegoats.

Unfortunately half way through the second training the Tories said "Oh, we don't want you to do it that way" and changed the rules, but hey ho.

I feel sorry for them though and wish them well. They’ve worked hard for these homes and it must be pretty hard for them in these uncertain times.
Yes, but equally they voted for it: they won, and they've got what they wanted.

They also have a home in the UK which they won't be turfed out of. Many EU nationals in the UK don't, and they could have their families broken up, as could we, it's only thanks to the German government and the German constitution that this isn't happening.

*Of course, by the Brexit definition, I'm taking away someone's job in Germany as a migrant worker et c. so maybe I should come back to the UK and be unemployed? Except that there aren't enough people qualified in my field in Germany...

Last edited:
Oh, quelle surprise, it seems they haven’t even started yet. Apparently there may be an option to purchase the rushed but at least delivered French system, but I can’t see that happening, for obvious reasons. So, will it be another £108 million spaffed on a rushed and unsuitable procurement? I think we know the answer.
https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252485180/HMRC-yet-to-begin-building-UK-border-IT-system
Except that's designed for the French government systems. Ours are different :whistle:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was joking when I said to @Mugshot that Brexit supporters don't need to substantiate their claims, not suggesting a debate strategy. Especially when you joined the conversation harrumphing about "unsubstantiated sources".

If migration (I'll leave the "mass" as that never happened in the UK) is such a problem, why doesn't Germany struggle with it? Maybe it's because we have stronger unions and it means that everyone, German and "foreign" can use collective bargaining.
I think what you've alluded to here is a massive part of the picture.

With Thatcherism, and any government coming afterwards, unionism was considered beyond the pale..

So we had clever ol Reaganism trickle down* divide and rule economics, break up and disempower the unions.

Now we have untramelled free marketeerism, zero hours contracts, and economically disadvantaged people scrabbling for a poorly paid job, driving frenetically for [insert delivery company nsme here]

Everyone being pitted against everyone else.
On a race to the bottom.

*It's capillary up of course, the wealthy don't let their wealth 'trickle' .. That's why they're so wealthy.. Hooray!!

The barely taxed well off can go "Look out you strugglers, that naughty immigrant is after the biscuit crumbs, that should rightfully be yours "

Of course now we're Brexitting - "will of the people" etc etc.

We can have even fewer of those filthy working time directives and social protections.

Oh dear.

Top Bottom