The Post-Brexit Thread

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm also a quarter each English, Italian and Austrian. Does the EU connection give me a keep out of the fire card?
Did you get a 25% reduction?

I've posted about this many times but...............In the late 80s I worked on the Community Programme which gave full time jobs to the long term unemployed and payed a living wage for a fixed term 1 year position. I'd been there about a month when my Chargehand was coming up to the end of his contract and the Supervisor came up and asked me if I was applying for the Chargehand position, " I've only been here a month" I replied he said I should fill the application in and again I replied "I've only been here a month, some of em have been here ages" (Chargehands got an extra Tenner a week) " Look" he said "You've got the F........ Job, just fill the F........ form in will you"

After being promoted I was given work parties of up to 10 people to do things like laying paths/roads, erecting fencing and gates and later planting trees/hedgerows along with more interesting things like building birdwatching 'hides', a bridge over a stream and a landing stage on a lake used for windsurfing amongst other projects.

Anyway the point of this post is that how shocked I was at how inept some of the people were, even digging a hole was beyond some of them and we weren't working to any sort of deadline or anything as long as we made some progress during the day that was fine. I swear some of em worked harder at skiving than they would have if doing the job. :wacko:
Yup, that's about right.

The funny thing is, some of mine would disappear, then realise for themselves they were not getting anywhere, and come back: some of my most motivated were the "useless" ones from earlier, who had realised the world wasn't going to give them a life on a plate and decided to actually work.

On the other hand I've got some now who simply have severe learning difficulties. That's why they are in a protected workshop, probably for life.

I swear some of em worked harder at skiving than they would have if doing the job. :wacko:
I was dealing with one like that today.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Well, of the 19 predictions made by prominent remain campaigner, ex chancellor George Osbourne, only 2 have come to pass.
I found a Daily Mail article wth that headline from 2017, do you have something a little more recent and preferably not DM please?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Any more info for this yet?
Here's a couple of songs from leavers to keep you entertained in the meantime, "Casting off the red tape and reclaiming our fish", yeah, you go girl!

View: https://youtu.be/VIEt_tZCHbM

View: https://youtu.be/BBi-KXc0CRk
Aye classic brits, tone deaf and talentless. :laugh:

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
If you've got some skills to offer another EU country, and they are in need of those skills, there's no reason why being able to live and work in Europe post-transition will be any different to the current situation.
That simply isn't true. To be true Britain would have to remain (sic) in the single market. It may not be impossible to move to another EU country but it will be harder - for one thing employers in the EU have to give preference to other EU nationals before those of third countries. Then there is social security and health, recognition of qualifications ...
What will change though, in both the EU and UK, is that anyone wanting to live and work in another member state, will actually have to demonstrate that they have some human capital to bring to the party.
That won't change - you cannot just turn up in another country, you have to be solvent. You are not entitled to live off the receiving country's benefits system. If that ever happened in Britain, the UK government is responsible for it.
You won't have a god-given right to just be a dead wood economic migrant with minimal skills just looking for a better standard of living, possibly to the detriment of another country's own workforce.
Crops being picked by EU workers in Britain is hardly to the detriment of a workforce that doesn't want to do this anyway. The UK has been importing people with skills, like plumbers, arguable to the detriment of the country they left who had to fund the cost of their education and training.

SkipdiverJohn

Veteran
Some brain drain news from the Oxford in BerlinResearch Partnership here. @Andy in Germany and @Unkraut, you're not alone.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/02/brexit-fuels-brain-drain-as-skilled-britons-head-to-the-eu
I really wouldn't expect The Grauniad to print anything other than negative articles about Brexit. To do so would change the habit of a lifetime.
However, when you read the detail it mentions Brits taking pay cuts or freezes to work in the EU, and cites one academic who jumped ship only to find himself unable to find a job. Those revelations don't strike me as a case of Brits with highly in-demand skills being snapped up by eager EU employers. More a case of anti-Brexit Remoaning malcontents who completely spat their dummy in response to the referendum result, and are now having to take whatever they can get in their new host country.
I'm not in the slightest bit bothered how many malcontent dummy-spitters leave the UK, in my book if you aren't pro-Britain you shouldn't be here anyway.

That simply isn't true. To be true Britain would have to remain (sic) in the single market. It may not be impossible to move to another EU country but it will be harder - for one thing employers in the EU have to give preference to other EU nationals before those of third countries. Then there is social security and health, recognition of qualifications ...

That won't change - you cannot just turn up in another country, you have to be solvent. You are not entitled to live off the receiving country's benefits system. If that ever happened in Britain, the UK government is responsible for it.

Crops being picked by EU workers in Britain is hardly to the detriment of a workforce that doesn't want to do this anyway. The UK has been importing people with skills, like plumbers, arguable to the detriment of the country they left who had to fund the cost of their education and training.
Stop confusing the matter with clearly presented facts @Unkraut, honestly.

Top Bottom