The Post-Brexit Thread

The claim is that many leave voters were racist. Word order matters.
Absolutely irrelevant. It's just a massive coincidence that the campaign that presented this:

Breaking point poster.jpeg

And this:

Leave_EU_no_war.jpg

And of course this:

Turkey_02.jpg

And was supported by newspapers saying things like this:

Cl-9GaVXIAAnBhq.jpg

and this:

daily-express-1.jpg

...was the campaign that won. It had nothing to to with racism whatsoever; move along, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
But unless you've reprodused millions, you're a long way off, especially if they're oriental Asians, who for some reason are generally not being included in conversations regarding racism.
So far your point is that the demographics of Europe tend to be mainly light skinned people, and that the EU is made of European countries, therefore the freedom of movement in the EU is racist.

I'm not sure that follows automatically.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

newfhouse

Regressive elitist lefty
Absolutely irrelevant. It's just a massive coincidence that the campaign that presented this:

View attachment 582851

And this:

View attachment 582852

And of course this:

View attachment 582853

And was supported by newspapers saying things like this:

View attachment 582854

and this:

View attachment 582855

...was the campaign that won. It had nothing to to with racism whatsoever... tut tut @newfhouse how dare you think otherwise?
Even with such a persistent campaign they only “won” by a few hundred thousand votes. Small consolation...

While I’m drifting a little, this headline always confused me.
60E24D1B-DF3A-4FFA-8CFB-E67E28825236.jpeg

It's precisely what I put, that a racist would be liable to prefer a migration policy that favoured movement from predominantly white regions over one that leant more to visitors from regions where the majority have visibly different coloured skin.
I'm not sure how you conclude that really; the EU as it currently stands is a grouping of European nations which have decided to work together for peace. Part of that is Freedom of Movement for citizens of member states.

Any citizen of an EU member state has FOM regardless of ethnicity.

That these member states so far have been predominantly pale of skin is nothing to do with the EU. Any country could join the EU regardless of where it is in the world. In theory Japan could apply to be an EU member; the membership criteria isn't based on geography or ethnicity.

The same applies to other groupings, for example in Africa and South America. Are they racist because we don't qualify for FOM in their countries?

I'm not sure how you conclude that really; the EU as it currently stands is a grouping of European nations which have decided to work together for peace. Part of that is Freedom of Movement for citizens of member states.

Any citizen of an EU member state has FOM regardless of ethnicity.

That these member states so far have been predominantly pale of skin is nothing to do with the EU. Any country could join the EU regardless of where it is in the world. In theory Japan could apply to be an EU member; the membership criteria isn't based on geography or ethnicity.

The same applies to other groupings, for example in Africa and South America. Are they racist because we don't qualify for FOM in their countries?
As it stands, which countries are predominantly white, and which not?

As it stands, which countries are predominantly white, and which not?
I already answered that one. The EU began in Europe, which is predominantly white. If it was a deliberately racist policy, then any European Citizen who was of a different ethnicity would be barred from FOM, but they aren't.

Any country can join the EU: Geography and ethnicity aren't a bar.

The citizens of similar African and South American organisations have FOM in their groupings: I don't, because I'm not a citizen, not because of my skin colour. Mercosur isn't racist because Europeans who are not citizens of south American countries don't have FOM there.

I don't have the same rights in Pacific nations either, despite being married to a Japanese, but my Japanese wife has the right to live here by being married to a European; in fact she had more rights married to a British national in Germany than she would have married to a British national in the UK. Bear in mind she couldn't marry me and live in the UK, and she could marry me and live in Germany...

Overall this seems to be an attempt to deflect from the racist undertones of the Brexit campaign.

I already answered that one. The EU began in Europe, which is predominantly white. If it was a deliberately racist policy, then any European Citizen who was of a different ethnicity would be barred from FOM, but they aren't.
Any country can join the EU: Geography and ethnicity aren't a bar.
The citizens of similar African and South American organisations have FOM in their groupings: I don't, because I'm not a citizen, not because of my skin colour. Mercosur isn't racist because Europeans who are not citizens don't have FOM there.

I don't have the same rights in Pacific nations either, despite being married to a Japanese, but my Japanese wife has the right to live here by being married to a European; in fact she had more rights married to a British national in Germany than she would have married to a British national in the UK.
Who claimed the EU was racist? I'm simply pouting out that a racist would be liable to prefer migrants from predominantly white countries over others.

Who claimed the EU was racist?
This post gives that impression, certainly:

Many people with families in commonwealth countries voted to leave the EU, as they found it limited the chances of their families joining them, in favour of predominantly white migrants from the EU. They felt penalised on racial grounds while we were members, and are happier now.
I'm simply pouting out that a racist would be liable to prefer migrants from predominantly white countries over others.
I suspect that's why the "Leave" campaign used racism against "non-EU migrants" as a way to get people to vote for them. Well, and lying:

Turkey_01.jpg

Strangely enough, a lot of people seem to have been a bit confused on who they were supposed to hate:

independent-998x714.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom