The Post-Brexit Thread

Hmm, how's the Norway solution going with the fishing right now?
Somewhat better than the UK, I'd say.

But then, this is what Brexit Supporters voted for. It's curious that there are any problems at all, given that the UK was supposed to hold all the cards, et c...

But then, this is what Brexit Supporters voted for. It's curious that there are any problems at all, given that the UK was supposed to hold all the cards, et c...
I think most of the people I deal with and know, don't perceive a problem to be resolved, which seems to be the bit that confuses you. That's not to say all is rosey, I think people fully expected a period of transition, and given it's only been a couple of months, yet Project Fear had us skint and starving straight after the referendum, so I think it's reasonable to view calls of 'problems' from similar people to be viewed somewhat more pragmatically.

Rocky

sacré bleu

Absolutely - so Norway has already caught what it wants from UK waters, pollock which is fished in the early part of the year. The UK however is yet to get its cod, which moves steadily further north as the waters warm. It's as if Norway knew about the fish movements and the UK didn't. There's a lot of incandescent fishermen in the UK at the moment. Further evidence of the UK's poor negotiation skills?

Absolutely - so Norway has already caught what it wants from UK waters, pollock which is fished in the early part of the year. The UK however is yet to get its cod, which moves steadily further north as the waters warm. It's as if Norway knew about the fish movements and the UK didn't. There's a lot of incandescent fishermen in the UK at the moment.
They've been rather unhappy for quite a few decades. It's a shame some people have only just noticed them, and are trying to turn it into their own political football. :okay:

Rocky

sacré bleu
And I quote:

'Fishing crews have been "disastrously let down" by the government's failure to reach a deal with Norway, UK Fisheries chief executive has said.
UK fleets will not have access to Norway's sub-Arctic seas, following the breakdown of UK-Norway negotiations.
One trawler, which catches 10% of fish sold in chip shops, will be tied up for a year following the collapse in talks.
The government said it had offered a "fair deal" but the two sides were "too far apart" to agree a deal this year.........
The UK's departure from the EU means it is no longer part of the European Common Fisheries Policy and instead negotiates with Norway directly over fishing catches'.

Rocky

sacré bleu
Not looking good for the finance sector, either

'Over 400 financial firms in Britain have shifted activities, staff and a combined trillion pounds ($1.4 trillion) in assets to hubs in the European Union due to Brexit, with more pain to come a study from New Financial* think tank said on Friday [16 April 2021].

"We think it is an underestimate and we expect the numbers to increase over time: we are only at the end of the beginning of Brexit," the study said.

The EU has offered Britain little in the way of direct market access for financial services, which were not included in the bloc's trade deal with the United Kingdom from January'.

$1.4 trillion and more to come

(*New Financial think tank set up to improve Europe's capital markets)

'Over 400 financial firms in Britain have shifted activities, staff and a combined trillion pounds ($1.4 trillion) in assets to hubs in the European Union due to Brexit, with more pain to come a study from New Financial* think tank said on Friday [16 April 2021].

"We think it is an underestimate and we expect the numbers to increase over time: we are only at the end of the beginning of Brexit," the study said.

The EU has offered Britain little in the way of direct market access for financial services, which were not included in the bloc's trade deal with the United Kingdom from January'.

Yebbut, that's just your opinion @Rocky... Or Something.

Rocky

sacré bleu
UK artists are up in arms at the current visa situation post Brexit. Just to give you an idea of the bureaucracy one UK artist faces after being invited to direct a production in Madrid:

Dominic Dromgoole, former artistic director of the Globe theatre, wrote

“In short order I had to put together a visa form, a letter of invitation in Spanish, proof of my occupation (never simple for a freelancer), a letter from my accountant, proof of my most recent year of taxes, bank statements for three months, proof of booked travel, proof of accommodation and an insurance policy. Oh, and every page of my passport photocopied. And a checklist itemising the above. All to be gathered in Covid world,”

This is stopping artists and their companies touring Europe shutting off a lucrative area of much needed business. I honestly can't see our Government stepping up to the plate and helping here. And remember when we had freedom of movement, all he had to do was buy a plane ticket and bring his passport.

(From the Times - sorry about the paywall)

Absolutely - so Norway has already caught what it wants from UK waters, pollock which is fished in the early part of the year. The UK however is yet to get its cod, which moves steadily further north as the waters warm. It's as if Norway knew about the fish movements and the UK didn't. There's a lot of incandescent fishermen in the UK at the moment. Further evidence of the UK's poor negotiation skills?
And I quote:

'Fishing crews have been "disastrously let down" by the government's failure to reach a deal with Norway, UK Fisheries chief executive has said.
UK fleets will not have access to Norway's sub-Arctic seas, following the breakdown of UK-Norway negotiations.
One trawler, which catches 10% of fish sold in chip shops, will be tied up for a year following the collapse in talks.
The government said it had offered a "fair deal" but the two sides were "too far apart" to agree a deal this year.........
The UK's departure from the EU means it is no longer part of the European Common Fisheries Policy and instead negotiates with Norway directly over fishing catches'.

UK artists are up in arms at the current visa situation post Brexit. Just to give you an idea of the bureaucracy one UK artist faces after being invited to direct a production in Madrid:

Dominic Dromgoole, former artistic director of the Globe theatre, wrote

“In short order I had to put together a visa form, a letter of invitation in Spanish, proof of my occupation (never simple for a freelancer), a letter from my accountant, proof of my most recent year of taxes, bank statements for three months, proof of booked travel, proof of accommodation and an insurance policy. Oh, and every page of my passport photocopied. And a checklist itemising the above. All to be gathered in Covid world,”

This is stopping artists and their companies touring Europe shutting off a lucrative area of much needed business. I honestly can't see our Government stepping up to the plate and helping here. And remember when we had freedom of movement, all he had to do was buy a plane ticket and bring his passport.

(From the Times - sorry about the paywall)
Yebbut you're only counting three piddly little aspects of trade and finance that are suffering as a result of Brexit.

Nothing when you compare those with the overall fantastic increase in trade and financial benefits we are so far seeing from Brexit. The people I know and deal with, who don't see any problems to be resolved and are happy with Brexit will soon be listing them, just you wait...............

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
yet Project Fear had us skint and starving straight after the referendum
This is true, but we have to remember that "Project Fear" was dreamt up by leavers as an exaggeration in response to the realistic issues being pointed out by Remainers.

For example,

Issues for UK fishermen exporting their catch (see @Rocky 's post)
Financial services leaving the UK (see @Rocky 's post)
Significant red tape making exports difficult and more expensive for UK businesses.
UK businesses relocating to EU to avoid red tape taking jobs with them.
Problems for farmers exporting to EU (see dairy)
Food shortages in supermarkets (see in particular NI)
Businesses struggling due to end of FoM (on this point, wait 'til holidays to the continent start again, then see how content people are)
Border down the Irish Sea with likely re-routing of ferries to avoid UK land bridge
Artists struggling due to end of FoM (see @Rocky 's post)

Etc , Etc.

All predicted, all happening. But if you screw up your eyes really tightly, you can pretend it's not happening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom