The Post-Brexit Thread

That's a shame, luckily the 3 local pub's I go to all employed local English staff and they've all returned to work, admittedly I haven't gone into the Kitchen and seen the chefs but bar staff and waitresses have all returned.
All doing fine here too. It looks like another opinion based on a very selective news article.
05onfire1_xp-facebookJumbo.jpg

I assume you've visited a few UK pubs since they opened then?

I've been to 6 and they all seem to be coping, I only comment on what I see or know to be fact so obviously can't comment on reports I know nothing about.
I appreciate that, but If I applied that logic to other things I could say that the sun is shining here, and therefore reports of rain in other parts of Germany must be opinions based on selective news articles.

Also I could argue that I could go out cycling on the basis I won't get wet because rain forecasts are "Project fear", because I can only comment on what I see and not on reports I know nothing about.

shep

Veteran
I appreciate that, but If I applied that logic to other things I could say that the sun is shining here, and therefore reports of rain in other parts of Germany must be opinions based on selective news articles.

Also I could argue that I could go out cycling on the basis I won't get wet because rain forecasts are "Project fear", because I can only comment on what I see and not on reports I know nothing about.
But surely if someone said all people in Germany who go out cycling from now on are going to get wet and it's been dry for the last 3 weeks where you live you wouldn't mention it?

Last edited:

JBGooner

Über Member
Oh it seems that the hospitality industry will be struggling as it opens up after Covid. Apparently there's a shortage of suitably skilled staff since we left the EU. Poor old Leavers will have to wait longer for their pie and pint.
"Fitch Ratings predicts that the shortages are likely to lead to increased costs and lower profit margins for hospitality businesses in the short term, as they have to increase wages and offer more training for less experienced staff."

Gosh, how awful!

"Fitch Ratings predicts that the shortages are likely to lead to increased costs and lower profit margins for hospitality businesses in the short term, as they have to increase wages and offer more training for less experienced staff."

Gosh, how awful!
There was nothing to stop them doing that before. I know this because in Germany there's a three year apprenticeship to work in a hotel, to ensure people who do get properly paid.

shep

Veteran
There was nothing to stop them doing that before. I know this because in Germany there's a three year apprenticeship to work in a hotel, to ensure people who do get properly paid.
They've obviously been forced to now because there's a shortage of staff apparently , can't see the point of your comment to be honest.

It's still better to pay people more surely?

They've obviously been forced to now because there's a shortage of staff apparently , can't see the point of your comment to be honest.

It's still better to pay people more surely?
My point is that Germany, an EU member, has a system where people working in the hotel industry are trained and better paid, and have been doing this for some time.

Being in the EU doesn't prevent this, despite many attempts by Brexit leaders and supporters to claim otherwise.

shep

Veteran
So.......are employers going to have to pay proper wages now here in the UK or not?

If not then I agree the whole point of the post is pointless but if they are then irrespective of the reason someone should benefit then?

Last edited:
Top Bottom