The pub and P&L feedback/comments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I'm not quite sure I get the point of changing P&L to 'The Pub', and getting rid of everything that's ever been posted in P&L. Is The Pub going to be moderated differently from P&L? Surely, even if more or different people decide to join up, it will just be exactly the same (whether you think that's good or bad) eventually...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Have I missed something here? What is 'This Pub' thing?

And are we allowed to ask why this is happening?
Has something triggered this eradication of P&L?
How will this new arrangement be any different?

Someone in this thread seemed very emphatic that this is not a replacement for P&L, so what is it about P&L that won't be allowed in the new place?
If you didn't think there was much wrong with the old place are you supposed to just go away?

I have only 47 posts - but I was a Pub landlord for 20 years - and I know Im a pensioner but I still hold a license - afterall I can serve when things get
busy - wash glasses - I can even change a barrel - so please let me in

ps - I would like time off for cycling

LEIGH

asterix

Comrade Member
I'm not quite sure I get the point of changing P&L to 'The Pub', and getting rid of everything that's ever been posted in P&L. Is The Pub going to be moderated differently from P&L? Surely, even if more or different people decide to join up, it will just be exactly the same (whether you think that's good or bad) eventually...

Here's my guess.

Maybe the Pub will have a better ambience? Be more inclusive of the forum as a whole? P&L doesn't exactly have a good reputation - is that a desirable and positive state of affairs?

There are those in P&L who are rarely if ever seen posting on other parts of this cycling forum. Why is that?

Let us hope for better things!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Am I imagining it, or have quite a few posts disappeared from this thread?

I thought I asked a question, but I'll ask it again. Will past content from P&L disappear completely rather than just being locked or archived, i.e. not show up in searches of any kind?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Am I imagining it, or have quite a few posts disappeared from this thread?

I thought I asked a question, but I'll ask it again. Will past content from P&L disappear completely rather than just being locked or archived, i.e. not show up in searches of any kind?
I think you may have asked it in a different thread (there are now several on this subject) - I remember reading it but don't remember where.

After the demise of ACF I decided never again to post anything I might want to keep on someone else's forum but instead to put it somewhere under my own control. As things turned out I never again posted anything worth keeping anywhere, but the principle is a good one.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I think you may have asked it in a different thread (there are now several on this subject) - I remember reading it but don't remember where.

After the demise of ACF I decided never again to post anything I might want to keep on someone else's forum but instead to put it somewhere under my own control. As things turned out I never again posted anything worth keeping anywhere, but the principle is a good one.

:biggrin:

Yes it might have been on a different thread. Apologies for the ditziness. Maybe someone's answered it somewhere...

So. How is this going to be different to the old Soapbox? I'm sure it's been thought through but I'm not sure it's been spelled out.

Shaun

Founder
I've moved questions and comments here, as I'm removing posts from the "Access to the pub" thread once people have been granted access; it makes it easier for me to manage the PM's and usergroup updates.

Yes, P&L is being removed from view completely, so you won't be able to search it or access any of the posts/threads.

It will be retained in the database so if there's something specific you wish to search for just ask.

If there are any current threads in P&L that the regulars would like moved into the pub, just let me know and I'll oblige before closing it.

I've made the change to broaden the scope of topics and widen the audience, as well as adding an agreement that you accept there may be things of an adult nature - this will hopefully avoid any faux-offended complaints from casual onlookers!

I've also modified the usergroup settings so that I can easily exclude people from The Pub if the need arises.

Political discussion can be a part of The Pub, but the pub will be about more than just political debate.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yes, P&L is being removed from view completely, so you won't be able to search it or access any of the posts/threads.

It will be retained in the database so if there's something specific you wish to search for just ask

Thanks. There's nothing I'm particularly looking for at the moment, but I use the search a lot (not specifically within P&L, but that's where the best results come from). When I recall an interesting discussion of a subject and want to have a quick recap of what was said (before doing it all over again ;)), for example. Often based on vague memories of the "Canrider wrote something about such-and-such a subject" or "I think it was in the same thread in which Dellzeqq mentioned Rachmaninov". Such is the snippetty nature of memory (although the search function was superior in the previous version of the forum). A lot of my favourite posters generate most of their content within P&L, and I just think it's a shame that most of the oeuvre of Delftse Post or Smeggers is to be stuffed in a virtual vault. I know there are plenty of vociferous advocates for a Khmer-Rouge style approach to the textual history of the forum, but I am not among them. I like the accumulation of stuff.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I know there are plenty of vociferous advocates for a Khmer-Rouge style approach to the textual history of the forum, but I am not among them. I like the accumulation of stuff.

Me too. And I find it a bit odd that the idea of 'politics' seems to scare some people. It's no wonder there's so much apathy.

Top Bottom