The Race To Be The New Labour Leader (New, New, Old, New Labour)

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 29 Jun 2019.

?
  1. John McDonnell

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Diane Abbott

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Emily Thornberry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sir Keir Starmer

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  5. Angela Raynor

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Rebecca Long-Bailey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yvette Cooper

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Sadiq Khan

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. A N Other

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  10. Jess Phillips

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Each of the candidates would have to do a lot of work campaigning and on their image.

2. Kajjal

Kajjal Veteran

In name only, if he stood for re-election he would be gone. From that wing of the party there are stronger candidates such as Cooper who actually does something constructive on a regular basis and her work on Brexit as well. Unfortunately while being very effective she is not a party leader. They have other reasonable candidates to chose from.

3. marinyork

People don't do deputy leadership for a laugh. It's an important organisational role. You have it the wrong way round, it's Watson doing all the work (whatever people think of him).

Comparing apples with oranges. Cooper is one of the people who gets to go off and sulk and sit out the Corbyn shadow cabinet. Sit on a select committee. Say something about Brexit occasionally. At least she didn't go off and start her own party and then defect to the lib dems. Wronged favourite and once time media anointed leader.

theclaud likes this.
  4. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

I’m very concerned about people in the civil service leaking details of Corbyn’s ability to be PM.

I don’t like the guy, but this seems wrong.

marinyork likes this.
  5. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

It's as appropriate as deliberately mis-spelling Jeremy Hunt's name. They are politicians and are not above being lampooned no matter what party they belong to.

LinchPin likes this.
  6. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Much like the current incumbent prior to his elevation, and look how that is working out.

As far as the vote is concerned I'll wait and see who McCluskey wants as leader to see who will win.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2019
    Cycleops likes this.
  7. Afnug

Afnug I'll Sithee

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Jeremy Hunts middle name was revealed as Isaac.

Last edited: 29 Jun 2019
    Seevio and Adam4868 like this.
  8. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

I used to play football with a lad with the surname Hunt, whose nickname was Isaac.

Blue Hills and Afnug like this.
  9. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Wonder if this frail old man spread a rumour...
    Screenshot_20190629-172159~2.png
    Corbyn looks particularly well to me.

10. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

I think the chances of Corbyn going voluntarily in the next couple of years are, sadly, minute, and nobody will trigger a ballot against him.

As for alternatives, the only one of the front bench who commands any respect outside the Labour membership is Starmer. Who is also a good forensic speaker, but lacks the emotional passion you need to develop a coalition behind you. Khan has been a very successful mayor, but if he's running the country's largest city - and will do for another few years - why would he want to take a step back to leader of a small and uninfluential parliamentary party?

Philips is impressive, but not (yet?) a leader or broad enough. All of the inner Corbyn cabal are too tainted by their association with the worst ever Labour leader to be a credible candidate for the rest of the country.

I'm sure there is. Which sums up everything that is wrong with Labour. If Labour ever want to be more than a dying sect they need to be talking about it. The more fanatical Labour members might tolerate a coronation, but it isn't exactly in the spirit of party democracy, especially after being so vocal about the Tories' mess.

perplexed and Diogenes like this.
  11. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

For anyone to make that comment they must be privy to some confidential information not widely known and certainly not known to Civil Servants. Its politically motivated for sure and very much below the belt.

Kajjal and Beebo like this.
  12. lane

lane Über Member

He has his faults - chief amongst them he can't win an election. Bit these claims do not ring true to me.

Dirk likes this.
  13. marinyork

All nine of the people on that list would need to do a lot in terms of image, policy and other things once leader.

Starmer will be the most likely person to win it, but I think on having him leader that he may be slightly less of a uniting force for the party than people think and find that his speaking skills need improving dramatically and some of the clunkier performances whilst saying brexity/party related things (for which he got an easy ride for as the country has brexit on the brain) the last couple of years would be a guide to early days in the labour leadership. His lack of interest in matters outside London and wide swathes of policy area could be a problem trying to get elected and certainly once labour leader. He needs to work on that. In terms of experience in parliament in common with others, only elected in 2015 (as was Rayner, Phillips and Long-Bailey).

14. marinyork

Impressive how one single person can manage to be such an incredibly divisive figure in the Labour party.

If you want her flavour of politics, go for her old boss Lucy Powell who doesn't have the divisiveness of Phillips. Lucy Powell has actually done some stuff for the Labour Party too.

theclaud likes this.
  15. Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang Guru

Keir Starmer, the man who pretends to respect the result of the referendum and Labour's manifesto promise, when in reality, not.

Eddy and meta lon like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice