The Race To Be The New Labour Leader (New, New, Old, New Labour)

Who would make the best Labour leader?

• John McDonnell

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Diane Abbott

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Emily Thornberry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sir Keir Starmer

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Angela Raynor

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yvette Cooper

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Sadiq Khan

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • A N Other

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Jess Phillips

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Kajjal

Veteran
Hardly from the sidelines, he is deputy leader.
In name only, if he stood for re-election he would be gone. From that wing of the party there are stronger candidates such as Cooper who actually does something constructive on a regular basis and her work on Brexit as well. Unfortunately while being very effective she is not a party leader. They have other reasonable candidates to chose from.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
In name only, if he stood for re-election he would be gone. From that wing of the party there are stronger candidates such as Cooper who actually does something constructive on a regular basis and her work on Brexit as well. Unfortunately while being very effective she is not a party leader. They have other reasonable candidates to chose from.
People don't do deputy leadership for a laugh. It's an important organisational role. You have it the wrong way round, it's Watson doing all the work (whatever people think of him).

Comparing apples with oranges. Cooper is one of the people who gets to go off and sulk and sit out the Corbyn shadow cabinet. Sit on a select committee. Say something about Brexit occasionally. At least she didn't go off and start her own party and then defect to the lib dems. Wronged favourite and once time media anointed leader.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I’m very concerned about people in the civil service leaking details of Corbyn’s ability to be PM.

I don’t like the guy, but this seems wrong.

Rusty Nails

We remember
How can Sadiq be a runner. He has no seat in parliament.

And while miss-spelling Rebecca Long-Bailey's name is a minor giggle it's not appropriate if this is a serious question. Sure you don't want to up the ante by referring to Emily T by her honorary title (which she holds as consequence of her husband's position on the High Court Bench).?
It's as appropriate as deliberately mis-spelling Jeremy Hunt's name. They are politicians and are not above being lampooned no matter what party they belong to.

Rusty Nails

We remember
Careful people will think you are seriously suggesting Tom Watson. If he was party leader he would have to do something beyond sniping from the sidelines.
Much like the current incumbent prior to his elevation, and look how that is working out.

As far as the vote is concerned I'll wait and see who McCluskey wants as leader to see who will win.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Wonder if this frail old man spread a rumour...
Screenshot_20190629-172159~2.png

Corbyn looks particularly well to me.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think the chances of Corbyn going voluntarily in the next couple of years are, sadly, minute, and nobody will trigger a ballot against him.

As for alternatives, the only one of the front bench who commands any respect outside the Labour membership is Starmer. Who is also a good forensic speaker, but lacks the emotional passion you need to develop a coalition behind you. Khan has been a very successful mayor, but if he's running the country's largest city - and will do for another few years - why would he want to take a step back to leader of a small and uninfluential parliamentary party?

Philips is impressive, but not (yet?) a leader or broad enough. All of the inner Corbyn cabal are too tainted by their association with the worst ever Labour leader to be a credible candidate for the rest of the country.

I'm sure there is a handover plan
I'm sure there is. Which sums up everything that is wrong with Labour. If Labour ever want to be more than a dying sect they need to be talking about it. The more fanatical Labour members might tolerate a coronation, but it isn't exactly in the spirit of party democracy, especially after being so vocal about the Tories' mess.

Cycleops

Guru
I’m very concerned about people in the civil service leaking details of Corbyn’s ability to be PM.

I don’t like the guy, but this seems wrong.
For anyone to make that comment they must be privy to some confidential information not widely known and certainly not known to Civil Servants. Its politically motivated for sure and very much below the belt.

lane

Über Member
He has his faults - chief amongst them he can't win an election. Bit these claims do not ring true to me.

marinyork

I think the chances of Corbyn going voluntarily in the next couple of years are, sadly, minute, and nobody will trigger a ballot against him.

As for alternatives, the only one of the front bench who commands any respect outside the Labour membership is Starmer. Who is also a good forensic speaker, but lacks the emotional passion you need to develop a coalition behind you. Khan has been a very successful mayor, but if he's running the country's largest city - and will do for another few years - why would he want to take a step back to leader of a small and uninfluential parliamentary party?

Philips is impressive, but not (yet?) a leader or broad enough. All of the inner Corbyn cabal are too tainted by their association with the worst ever Labour leader to be a credible candidate for the rest of the country.
All nine of the people on that list would need to do a lot in terms of image, policy and other things once leader.

Starmer will be the most likely person to win it, but I think on having him leader that he may be slightly less of a uniting force for the party than people think and find that his speaking skills need improving dramatically and some of the clunkier performances whilst saying brexity/party related things (for which he got an easy ride for as the country has brexit on the brain) the last couple of years would be a guide to early days in the labour leadership. His lack of interest in matters outside London and wide swathes of policy area could be a problem trying to get elected and certainly once labour leader. He needs to work on that. In terms of experience in parliament in common with others, only elected in 2015 (as was Rayner, Phillips and Long-Bailey).

marinyork

Impressive how one single person can manage to be such an incredibly divisive figure in the Labour party.

If you want her flavour of politics, go for her old boss Lucy Powell who doesn't have the divisiveness of Phillips. Lucy Powell has actually done some stuff for the Labour Party too.

Top Bottom