The Race To Be The New Labour Leader (New, New, Old, New Labour)

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 29 Jun 2019.

?
  1. John McDonnell

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Diane Abbott

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Emily Thornberry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sir Keir Starmer

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  5. Angela Raynor

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Rebecca Long-Bailey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yvette Cooper

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Sadiq Khan

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. A N Other

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  10. Jess Phillips

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Mr Benn would be the best man, i might even vote for him

2. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Diane Abbot has 4 votes.... Fookin hell.. Sums this forum section up a treat

Cycleops likes this.
  3. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

He might need a change of clothes.

Duffy, theclaud, Seevio and 1 other person like this.
  4. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

What's more telling about this thread is joking who would be unsuitable yet we've got Johnson or Hunt as the next PM.Now that's a feck me right there !

lane, C R and Andy in Germany like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

I do believe there is a thread dedicated to that very topic. Why don't you grace that one with your renowned wisdom and wit? On this thread, people with a knowledge of the characters and procedures within the Labour party are sharing their insights. Not so long ago the standard riposte to any suggestion of Corbyn being replaced was "Who? Who? Who do you suggest? Eh, eh?" - now we've moved on to actually discussing those who could step up to the role. Do you have anything you can contribute to this?

6. Seevio

Seevio Über Member

As if by magic, the Labour leader appeared...

7. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Labour have a leader if you hadn't noticed ? I'd reply to the Corbyn thread if I could but someone whined to the mods because they didn't get there way...ring any bells ?

8. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Not me champ.

9. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Yawn...

10. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Clearly not.

Rusty Nails likes this.
  11. Hitchington

Hitchington Lovely stuff

You did, just so you could make this post.

theclaud likes this.
  12. Eddy

Eddy Guru

Just means there is another 3 folk on here with the same sense of humour as me.

Rusty Nails likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Sir Keir Starmer the clear preference for folk so far. Have to admit all I know about him has been his performance during the Brexit carry-on where he came across well. Not so keen if he's as London-centric as some say.

ETA - I know that list isn't comprehensive, just the candidates I could readily think of but it's encouraging that a list of 6 women and 3 men can pass without comment. Is the Labour party ready to have a woman as leader?

14. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

What do those who say he's London centric actually mean?

He's a London MP (Holborn and St Pancras) and his shadow brief is Brexit where the action is in London or on the Continent rather than remoter parts of UK.

15. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

For me I don't want another of the London set leading because I think there's a serious disconnect between London and the rest of the country. London is a rapidly changing, growing, diverse city with opportunities and problems that the rest of the country doesn't have to anything like the same degree. The Westminster "bubble" has been very good for London over the last decades as we've switched our economy's emphasis away from production in the regions towards financial services in the capital. It's this distancing imo that's led to the Labour vote collapsing in the North East and Scotland and has helped fuel the independence movement in Scotland. What's good for London has been bad for the UK.

C R likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice