The Race To Be The New Labour Leader (New, New, Old, New Labour)

Who would make the best Labour leader?

• John McDonnell

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Diane Abbott

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Emily Thornberry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sir Keir Starmer

Votes: 24 43.6%
  • Angela Raynor

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey

• Yvette Cooper

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Sadiq Khan

• A N Other

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Jess Phillips

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levo-Lon

Formerly known as meta lon
Diane Abbot has 4 votes.... Fookin hell.. Sums this forum section up a treat

What's more telling about this thread is joking who would be unsuitable yet we've got Johnson or Hunt as the next PM.Now that's a feck me right there !
I do believe there is a thread dedicated to that very topic. Why don't you grace that one with your renowned wisdom and wit? On this thread, people with a knowledge of the characters and procedures within the Labour party are sharing their insights. Not so long ago the standard riposte to any suggestion of Corbyn being replaced was "Who? Who? Who do you suggest? Eh, eh?" - now we've moved on to actually discussing those who could step up to the role. Do you have anything you can contribute to this?

Adam4868

Guru
I do believe there is a thread dedicated to that very topic. Why don't you grace that one with your renowned wisdom and wit? On this thread, people with a knowledge of the characters and procedures within the Labour party are sharing their insights. Not so long ago the standard riposte to any suggestion of Corbyn being replaced was "Who? Who? Who do you suggest? Eh, eh?" - now we've moved on to actually discussing those who could step up to the role. Do you have anything you can contribute to this?
Labour have a leader if you hadn't noticed ? I'd reply to the Corbyn thread if I could but someone whined to the mods because they didn't get there way...ring any bells ?

Adam4868

Guru
Not me champ.
Yawn...

Sir Keir Starmer the clear preference for folk so far. Have to admit all I know about him has been his performance during the Brexit carry-on where he came across well. Not so keen if he's as London-centric as some say.

ETA - I know that list isn't comprehensive, just the candidates I could readily think of but it's encouraging that a list of 6 women and 3 men can pass without comment. Is the Labour party ready to have a woman as leader?

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Sir Keir Starmer the clear preference for folk so far. Have to admit all I know about him has been his performance during the Brexit carry-on where he came across well. Not so keen if he's as London-centric as some say.
What do those who say he's London centric actually mean?

He's a London MP (Holborn and St Pancras) and his shadow brief is Brexit where the action is in London or on the Continent rather than remoter parts of UK.

What do those who say he's London centric actually mean?

He's a London MP (Holborn and St Pancras) and his shadow brief is Brexit where the action is in London or on the Continent rather than remoter parts of UK.
For me I don't want another of the London set leading because I think there's a serious disconnect between London and the rest of the country. London is a rapidly changing, growing, diverse city with opportunities and problems that the rest of the country doesn't have to anything like the same degree. The Westminster "bubble" has been very good for London over the last decades as we've switched our economy's emphasis away from production in the regions towards financial services in the capital. It's this distancing imo that's led to the Labour vote collapsing in the North East and Scotland and has helped fuel the independence movement in Scotland. What's good for London has been bad for the UK.

Reactions: C R
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom