The Race To Be The New Labour Leader (New, New, Old, New Labour)

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 29 Jun 2019.

?
  1. John McDonnell

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  2. Diane Abbott

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. Emily Thornberry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sir Keir Starmer

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  5. Angela Raynor

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Rebecca Long-Bailey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yvette Cooper

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. Sadiq Khan

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. A N Other

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  10. Jess Phillips

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

It would be worth it just for that - Khan seems a very good candidate in any case, but not being a current MP is a bit of a snag. He could be made a lord of course, but we've not had a PM in the lords since Rosebury or Salisbury in about 1900

2. lane

lane Über Member

Maybe the question should be - are they ready to have a leader?

Adam4868 likes this.
  3. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

I guess the real difficulty in selecting a leader is matching said leader to a party that has no clear policy on Brexit due to Corbyn's long (and probably horrendously painful) stint on the fence. As well as keeping the various knee jerk, throw money promises made in an effort to buy votes.

I'm no Labour voter by a long way but he is a truly poor party (and opposition) leader - in the absence of decent leadership of the Tory party in recent times, Labour should really be streets ahead in the various who to vote for in a GE polls.

4. Chris S

Chris S Guru

Chuka for leader, Khan for deputy. That would be the Chuka Khan ticket.

cisamcgu, Proto, Brains and 10 others like this.
  5. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

I am a labour supporter, but sadly you are dead right. Regardless of which tribe you support I have to say both lots seem an utter shambles at the moment. And I'm not one to be cynical about politicians as by and large they are (or at least have been) mostly honourable people working hard to do good, but these days I despair of then

SteveF, SpokeyDokey and lane like this.
  6. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Have any of the contenders had a proper job in the commercial world, just asking.?

7. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Its Chaka. Perhaps they would be singing this, "Tell me sonething good".

View: https://youtu.be/OB4JDJiet5M

8. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Keir Starmer and Emily Thornberry both had long careers as barristers (self-employed entrepreneurs running small businesses). Sadiq Khan ran a solicitor's practice. Jess Phillips managed residential units for a charity. Rebecca Long-Bailey worked for major law firms.

Meanwhile Boris Johnson has never had a proper job, just a series of journalistic sinecures, and Jeremy Hunt had several unsuccessful businesses before getting lucky with a small one whose main customer was the government (at the time he was an MP) and whose main success came after he left them. He's not really an entrepreneur, he was in the right place at the right time running a very small business if the sort he's about to put out of business.

AndyRM, lane and Mugshot like this.
  9. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

So none then , thanks for that.

10. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Perhaps you could explain exactly what counts as a proper job in the commercial world, if one that involves scraping together customers and delivering what they want doesn't?

Bromptonaut and lane like this.
  11. perplexed

perplexed Guru

I haven't researched, but off the top of my head I think Jess Philips did bar work in the past.

12. perplexed

perplexed Guru

Whoever does become the next LP leader my immediate thought is that it can't be one of his circle - I don't mean the Shadow Cabinet necessarily, more the cabal which sees the LP in the sorry state it is in. I think from memory that Long-Bailey and Raynor are both guilty of promoting unicornism. I don't think Abbott or McDonnell would move the needle at all, so would be pretty pointless. I believe Starmer is possibly seen as the one with the most 'gravitas' by the public at large, and gives the impression of competence.

It's a difficult one really, because whichever name goes forward there is going to be something to criticize them for, in their voting record or somewhere.

Without necessarily endorsing them (haven't researched), what about a couple more names? Wes Streeting, Ben Bradshaw?

13. Adam4868

Adam4868 Veteran

Just out of curiosity what is a "proper job" ? Or what meets your criteria of one.

14. Spinney

Spinney Bimbleur extraordinaire

Any job that none of the contenders have held, obvs.

theclaud and Adam4868 like this.
  15. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Since all of the contenders seem to be lawyers it does give a lot of room for scope.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice