The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I’ve always liked the phrase

”You don’t stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing”.

The other version of that is "you don't stop pedaling because you got old, you get old because you've stopped pedaling". I'm 69 and still in good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dag Hammar

When I was a young lad and I’d ask my father what would he like for his birthday or Christmas present he would mostly reply “well there’s nothing I want really”
Now I am standing in his shoes and when asked what I would like for presents I really do struggle to think of things that I need.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Blue line through continued exercise from late in early life, throughout adult and old age, orange trajectory if you become sedentary. You’ll note it’s possible for someone who maintains exercise throughout life to be just as capable in old age as a sedentary person in early adulthood.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
When I was a young lad and I’d ask my father what would he like for his birthday or Christmas present he would mostly reply “well there’s nothing I want really”
Now I am standing in his shoes and when asked what I would like for presents I really do struggle to think of things that I need.

For presents, you think of things you WANT, not things you NEED, at least, that is what I tell Mrs @BoldonLad, when she says she doesn't know what she needs for birthday/christmas etc ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Blue line through continued exercise from late in early life, throughout adult and old age, orange trajectory if you become sedentary. You’ll note it’s possible for someone who maintains exercise throughout life to be just as capable in old age as a sedentary person in early adulthood.

View attachment 570661

I do hope you are right, we are 74, and walk and/or cycle every day. So far, we are doing OK. ;)

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
For presents, you think of things you WANT, not things you NEED, at least, that is what I tell Mrs @BoldonLad, when she says she doesn't know what she needs for birthday/christmas etc ;)
Another good tip - this one from my daughter - look for something they like/use a lot that's beginning to look worn out, and buy them a new one, a better one, or both.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Another good tip - this one from my daughter - look for something they like/use a lot that's beginning to look worn out, and buy them a new one, a better one, or both.
I heard somewhere, if you don't know what to get someone, then get something they've already got. Sort of related to what you said. It was my 40th birthday last week and I didn't need or want anything. I really felt my age when I realised I'd spent all my birthday money on wood (for woodwork, not for burning)

This on a bike forums??????

weird - surely a quick browse around a few bike websites should come up with something????

johnblack

Über Member
Trouble is, if my wife just goes out and buys whatever she wants, never leaves anything left when it comes to Christmas and birthdays. I'll just buy her something I want.

Top Bottom