The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rugby bloke

Veteran
On Friday I will be going to my eldest son's university graduation. It only seems 5 minutes since I was graduating, turns out it was 32 years ago ...

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I went swimming in the river with my family yesterday. My gf took pictures, as she does. I looked at them and could not believe the tubby, balding mess of a man who had somehow managed to sneak in in my place without my knowledge. I nearly pull a muscle every time I reach for something or pick something up. I still feel like I'm in my early 30s but I'm definitely not!

Drago

Legendary Member
On Friday I will be going to my eldest son's university graduation. It only seems 5 minutes since I was graduating, turns out it was 32 years ago ...

I know that feeling. I left the Army in 1991. My oldest Daughter left the RAF in 2010, having done her 4 years as well...and then nearly 10 years have gone since then.

I don't feel old, everything is still working ok, other than bits damage by injury rather than age. I made it to 49 before needing reading glasses, and can still survive without them if I forget them. Nah, nothing makes me feel old as such, but examples such as yours do bring home the inexorable passage of time.

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I remember "our playground", open fields, being torn up and assunder to build a park.

Now they've given up on the park, nature is reclaiming it.[/QUOTE]

Like in that movie, Legend starring Will Smith.

mustang1

Guru
Me teaching my kid to ride a bike age 2 reminded me of when my dad taught me (I was 5 though).

The old houses my parents lived in when I was a kid have been rebuilt. The park I used to visit sometimes where someone wanted to take my bike (chopper) has been turned into flats.

A zebra crossing where I realized I had power over cars is no longer there.

My bike which got bent in a crash was being bent back into shape as my dad was hammering the frame against a tree when I was walking back from school. I was so happy to see my bike had been fixed!

Wondering how I could have had so much time to do anything I wanted and I made use of all that time, mostly. And these days, idk if it's a lack of time or a lack of passion to do things then just blaming "a lack of time".

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I miss being asked for proof of age when I buy beer :sad:

I think the last time I was asked must have been some time in the 80s :sad: :sad: :sad:

My grey hair gives it away now, some cheeky bugger in the local Asda said so - felt like smacking the little whipper snapper !

I'm noticing all my various old injuries are playing up - both shoulders giving my gyp from all the crashes over the years.

Top Bottom