The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I miss being asked for proof of age when I buy beer :sad:

I think the last time I was asked must have been some time in the 80s :sad: :sad: :sad:

I was with my Dad (then in his mid 60's) when he got asked for ID when buying wine!
he didn't know whether to be impressed of dumbfounded!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
3C9A973E-5430-4645-A858-BCE985D36E7E.png
I lived this from a recumbent trike site so apologies to whoever put it up originally. This could be me.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Old age for me:

Lovely Wife - yup.

Good health for both (currently) - yup.

Nice house in nice place - yup.

Enough money to see us out - yup.

Minimal stress and nice easy life - yup.

Lots of years left to enjoy it all - hell no! :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

I know the 'make the most of every day' cliche and we certainly have a lot of fun as we are both hedonistic by nature but... ultimately life has a nasty sting in the tale and love has no happy endings. That's the crappiest old age thing by far.

However, it's nearly Saturday (I'm not always pessimistic) and when it gets here it's:

Party.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We do not wither and grow weak with age, we age because we wither and grow weak. So stay active, get out there, and stop withering and growing weak. The ailments of age are really the ailments of an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Getting on is not easy. Unless there is something to lean against I lay the bike flat and step carefully over it before lifting up. Getting off is a reverse of that. Problem is it tends to cause consternation and concern for anybody passing. Good of them to look out for me but I find it embarrassing. This is why I now have a Bike Friday and a recumbent trike in addition to my Brompton. Easier to handle.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Getting old... Well my earliest memories...I'm not sure I can remember Apollo 11, but I have a clear memory of Apollo 13 and rushing home from school to turn the radio on and see if the crew were back home. I can remember the Beatles Obladi Oblada. I can remember before being old enough for infant school my grand father pushing me in a push-chair to watch the trains and the drivers pulling the whistle and waving at him as he'd just retired from the railways. The street I grew up was gravel and then grass just past our house - there was a scrap yard, a haunted house, and then gravel pits where I first started my long love affair with fishing. All replaced with "modern" houses now, some of them fifty years old. Was a sad day the day they put electricity through the pits and took all the fish away. Better than simply leaving them, though.

Top Bottom