The rear light on a helmet......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

In trouble

I have noticed in the last few weeks, more of us are wearing red flashing lights on the rear of our helmets as well as the normal rear lights on our bikes.

I drove to and from work today:biggrin:, and I was much quicker spotting those with rear flashing lights on helmets, I think because they are at a height you wouldn't normally expect them to be, so are eye catching.

This is bourne out by my recent trip to London, where again, those with lights affixed to the rear of their helmets wheer much more eye catching, therefore easier seen.

Hmmmmm given me food for thought. Dooes anyone else have rear facing lights on helmets or have their own thoughts on looking like a christmas tree???

mr Mag00

rising member
i have always worn mine there for atleast the last 10 years or so plus those on the bike

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
yes I've had a rear one on for many years for just the reason you quote. it makes me visible not only to the car directly behind me but often to the one(s) behind that one too, I'm less of a surprise when the first one in line overtakes me and I feel that I get more room and less near misses from the rest.

I've got a forward facing white light on too now and do notice that I get more respect on the country roads and can stop someone inching out over a give way line with a well aimed 'Paddington bear hard stare'

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
potsy said:
Are they just normal sized lights or the mini ones? Have been thinking of putting one on mine soon.

Mine are a Smart Polaris front and 1/2 watt rear. Both very bright and far reaching but the only comment I've had about them was a bus driver pulling up telling me it was a pleasure to see someone on a bike taking staying alive seriously.

I'm a hi-viz christmas tree all the way

I did use small ones but was told (eventually by Mrs) that the visibility from distance was very poor and that they were pretty ineffectual, I didn't show up until I was in the beam of the headlights anyway.

marooncat

I have got ones from Tescos (less than £4 for a front and rear one) that I use, feel a bit stupid sometimes pulling upto the office flashing away but do like knowing it is one more light to warn drivers I am there. Was very pleased when BF followed me through our village ones and likened me to a christmas tree all lit up!!

OP
OP
I

In trouble

After another thread on here, i ordered and took delievry of some ay-up lights, I have a pair strapped to my handle bars, and have a 'gecko' helmet mount, and can have another pair rear facing. gonna give it a go tomorrow me thinks.

potsy

Rambler
marooncat said:
I have got ones from Tescos (less than £4 for a front and rear one) that I use, feel a bit stupid sometimes pulling upto the office flashing away but do like knowing it is one more light to warn drivers I am there. Was very pleased when BF followed me through our village ones and likened me to a christmas tree all lit up!!
How are you mounting them to the helmet marooncat? I got 2 of those rear lights from Tesco the other week £1.25 each look just like the Smart 3led ones.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is important the you also have lights in the normal position (ie on the bike) too, remember most drivers are sitting much lower down and they don't tend to look up to look for cycle lights. I have seen a quite a few cyclist recently who only had light on their head, I only saw them because I consciously looked for them. The most important thing is to have lights where other people expect to see them, any more is a bonus...

thomas

the tank engine
potsy said:
Are they just normal sized lights or the mini ones? Have been thinking of putting one on mine soon.

I've got some 1 LED knogs. My mum got a set after me and when I drove past her during dusk a year or so ago now I was really really impressed with how good they were. I've got a front one too and that will light up sign posts/make the sign posts flash for a reasonable distance, considering it's soo small.

My helmet has a red reflector in the back of it, not quite as good as a light but making an effort in the right direction at least.

GAVSTER

Smart 1/2 watt on the back of the lid.

Another red light on the bike.

I did have a front light on the helmet as well but it made the helmet a bit too heavy and gave me neck ache.

So on the front I have one flashing and one constant on the bars with a tesco torch zip-tied to the right hand drop too.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
HJ said:
It is important the you also have lights in the normal position (ie on the bike) too, remember most drivers are sitting much lower down and they don't tend to look up to look for cycle lights. I have seen a quite a few cyclist recently who only had light on their head, I only saw them because I consciously looked for them. The most important thing is to have lights where other people expect to see them, any more is a bonus...

high level brake lights on cars? as to where drivers sit: SUV's van's taxis, lorries, busses..... my last cars a golf & a passat, current one a qashqai+2 I've never had a problem spotting helmet level lights, in fact it was whilst driving a VW polo that I first saw one and thought it was a good idea. as for drivers not looking up... please.... 6 feet off the ground isn't really up, anyway, peripheral vision goes up as well as sideways especilly for an unusual flashing light - think of spotting planes in the dark, they're quite a way up.

1st two posts do mention lights on the bike, I rather took it for granted that lights on the bike are a given, fair point tho - plenty of ninjas out there. for the record 2 front lights, 4 rear, reflectors at both ends & on every bag or pannier I ever use and slap bands round wrists and ankles. Pedal reflectors front and back bolted on. sam browne belt if not wearing my hi-viz tops.

like I say christmas tree and proud of it.

thomas

the tank engine
RichK said:
97p from Tesco for me.

What I can't decide is whether to mount it on top of the lid, or on the right hand side? Currently it's on the right hand side (facing backwards, obviously).

Mine is the on the right for the rear, left for the front. My theory behind, the rear will make people pass further out (thinking it's my centre line) and make cars in side junctions not pull out into me....that's the theory anyway :smile:

Top Bottom