The right food / diet so I dont loose weight!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi All,

Well here comes the first of probably many question I will ask from time to time. I've tried searching this but havnt found a great deal specific to me.

OK many people start up cycling to get healthier and loose weight. I am actually underweight already. I naturally am. I might make a few jealous by saying this. But I can eat for England and not put on any weight. My metabolism is just high. Im so lucky. I can eat the entire cake shop and not suffer for it ;)

Ive never really done so much excersise either. I am a complete noob when it comes to knowing about what foods I should eat when it comes to excersise. I hear about people who have lost a lot of weight since taking up cycling. I really cant afford to do that! So I guess I really need to put those carbs back in what I loose.

Im really getting into the idea of doing some serious mileage and touring. But I also enjoy off roading on MTB.

So I guess I'm really just after some advice of what i should be eating before, during and after cycling to ensure that i'm not going to loose any weight. What about those high protein milkshakes? Energy bars? I dont know, its all knew to me. Ive got a lot to learn.

Also slightly off topic. Is there any good sites with advice about what stretches i should be doing before, during and after a long ride. I kinda try but after a long ride my neck, arms legs and back can all be achey for a couple of days afterwards.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
beer and kebabs made me fat....giving them up made me lose weight try that..joking. i have read on here that quite a few use the body builders bulking up powder. i use to use them when i was in the army and doing bodybuilding as i ironically had the same problem when i was younger. they have all the amino acids and vitamins needed as well as the high protein. just be careful what you wish for tho or before you know you will be forty, fat and unfit..lol

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays is fairly skinny - but cycling hasn't seemed to change his weight much - he is probably snacking a bit more, but his muscles definitely seem slightly bigger and certainly more defined.

Aside from foods specific to bulking you up I think it is just about eating enough for you. If you are a light frame then that is what you are. Cyclists taking up cycling to lose weight are generally those who are carrying unwanted fat. I think I have lost about two stone of fat but gained about half a stone of muscle from cycling. If you have not got the two stone of fat you just have to eat that much energy instead of it coming from the body reserves.

On what to eat- fat and sugar are still bad for you and fat can clog up a skinny person as much as a fat one. Dont adopt bad habits as you will find it may then lead you to being overweight in later life.

I have the same thing .. I'm 43 in march and i've spent my whole working life behind a steering wheel of one sort or another so by rights i should be as big as a house but i'm 6'0 tall and weigh in at 10 stone 11lbs i once had to do a test to measure my body fat and it came out at 4.9% which i'm told is not good :becool:

To maintain my weight and not lose any i generally have to use the milkshake drinks like Complan although i dont really notice any significant weight loss after a long cycle ride just if i dont eat properly for a couple of days

Simon

aJohnson

If you're going on a big ride, the night before eat things like alot of pasta. Oats is always a good breakfast. That's what I normally have. I am very skinny and eat alot, I'm about 6 foot 1 and weigh 8 stone (Currently 8 stone 2 pounds).

If you're like me, you will lose weight like you put on weight, so don't worry about losing any.

Jakes Dad said:
i'm 6'0 tall and weigh in at 10 stone 11lbs Simon

aJohnson said:
I'm about 6 foot 1 and weigh 8 stone (Currently 8 stone 2 pounds).

I feel like a bit of a Lard Ass now :becool:

Simon

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
aJohnson said:
If you're going on a big ride, the night before eat things like alot of pasta. Oats is always a good breakfast. That's what I normally have. I am very skinny and eat alot, I'm about 6 foot 1 and weigh 8 stone (Currently 8 stone 2 pounds).

If you're like me, you will lose weight like you put on weight, so don't worry about losing any.
Blimey Andy. When you came on that ride with me I could see that you were skinny but I didn't realise that you were that light! I'm the same height as you and weigh 7 stone more! :becool:

It's no wonder that you are better going up hill than me...

The lightest I've ever been as an adult was 10 stone 10 pounds when I was 30. I was really skinny so I don't know how you could be 2.5 stone lighter than that! You must have really light bones.

I'd make sure that you have plenty of calcium in your diet or you could suffer brittle bones when you are older. Apparently, long distance cyclists can suffer from osteoporosis because of calcium losses in the sweat.

aJohnson

ColinJ said:
Blimey Andy. When you came on that ride with me I could see that you were skinny but I didn't realise that you were that light! I'm the same height as you and weigh 7 stone more! :smile:

It's no wonder that you are better going up hill than me...

The lightest I've ever been as an adult was 10 stone 10 pounds when I was 30. I was really skinny so I don't know how you could be 2.5 stone lighter than that! You must have really light bones.

I'd make sure that you have plenty of calcium in your diet or you could suffer brittle bones when you are older. Apparently, long distance cyclists can suffer from osteoporosis because of calcium losses in the sweat.

Yeah just weighed myself, and I've just eaten (something not very healthy). I guess it's a reason why I have no force helping me on the descents.

I make sure to have alot of vitamins, calcium ect...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think you guys have to remember body types (endo/meso + ectomorph`s) before jumping on the omfg weight wagon.

Some folk are just going to be skinny/lumpy no matter what .

My dad was a weight lifter( west mids champ for his weight) + my mum was "well rounded " so i am never gonna see 8 stone no matter what .

I am 5 foot 7 and i found much below 10.5 stone i felt weak , hover in the lower 11 stones these days , mind you the wrong side of 40 does factor into that but my weights been pretty constant for 20 years.In the past i used to do around 15-20 hours a week training with a mixture of martial arts, gym work, cycling ,running swimming etc .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
cyberknight said:
I think you guys have to remember body types (endo/meso + ectomorph`s) before jumping on the omfg weight wagon.

Some folk are just going to be skinny/lumpy no matter what .
True, but I'm not a heavy build so I'm surprised that aJ is that much lighter than I was when I was very skinny too!

I'm what I would call a medium build. I've forgotten which type of 'morph' that is. I can get quite big and strong and I can also get very skinny. I'm not naturally stocky. I've got quite small hands and my feet are only size 10.

I would have expected to only be about a stone or so heavier than a person of the same height who is naturally skinny. I'm just shocked that the difference is that big.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think it s all perception most people i work with think i am 9 stone wet through but not to boast what i am made of is solid rather than wibbly ;)

As long as your happy and feel good within reasonable limits is what i say .

I am a meso /ecto top half with meso/endo legs if thats any help ...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Right OP - that's OK.... just wondering if you were a youngster..... i.e. don't worry about weight.

My mid 20's race weight was about 12.5 stone....took me a long time to get back there but a couple of years ago I got there abouts......being nearly 40...

You'll see weight gain unless you go for it as you get older.

Top Bottom