The right way to pass other cyclists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeShapedObject

Formerly austin-towers
What's the general rule, if there is one? I was on the TPT today, and was quickly approaching another cyclist from the rear, heading in the same direction as me. I moved to the right to pass him, and rang the bell to warn him I was approaching. When he heard it, HE moved to the RIGHT aswell! It was a bit close, I managed to swerve the other way in time (luckily)...

RedBike

Shout on your right. Let them wobble all over the place then shoot passed on whichever side looks like there's the most room.

Once passed you're to make it look like you're putting in no effort while secretely going as quickly as possible.

OP
OP
BikeShapedObject

BikeShapedObject

Formerly austin-towers
RedBike said:
Shout on your right. Let them wobble all over the place then shoot passed on whichever side looks like there's the most room.

Once passed you're to make it look like you're putting in no effort while secretely going as quickly as possible.

:biggrin::laugh:;)

peanut

I usually go by unannounced so they don't suddenly do something stupid like throw their hands up in the air and wobble into my path :biggrin:

OP
OP
BikeShapedObject

BikeShapedObject

Formerly austin-towers
Maybe I should just SCREAM LOUDLY when just behind them....

Johnny5

Make sure there's no cars trying to overtake while you pass another cyclist.

I usually just pass another cyclist on their right hand side and just raise my left hand just to say "Thanks for letting me pass" and pedal on.

If you are going to over take another cyclist, then make sure you ride away from them quickly.....if not then you might as well just stay behind the cyclist at the first place.

blazed

220lb+
Johnny5 said:
Make sure there's no cars trying to overtake while you pass another cyclist.

I usually just pass another cyclist on their right hand side and just raise my left hand just to say "Thanks for letting me pass" and pedal on.

If you are going to over take another cyclist, then make sure you ride away from them quickly.....if not then you might as well just stay behind the cyclist at the first place.
Whats the point of saying thanks for letting me past? He is riding and probably doesnt even know you are passing he isnt going out of his way to let you past.

Top Bottom