The rise of climate change anxiety.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Mercifully, I'm not a sufferer.

mudsticks

Veteran
Yes a sufferer here.

Actually for me it's also a form of deep grief.
Like many others, having heard about the problems of climate change decades ago, and having tried to do various things to mitigate my own carbon footprint
Ie not flying, lower carbon farming, only buying green leccy, and other stuff.

Plus more importantly maybe, being involved in, and supporting all sorts of campaigns and projects, voting Green etc etc - it's still the oil companies, and big easy profits first corps, who have trampled over, denied and rubbished the science, of what is happening.

Because monetary riches are more important than the natural wealth of our magnificent planet

Aided and abetted, of course, by successive governments, and business as usual world leaders who can only think of their five year terms, or enriching themselves, and their own corner of the globe, to gain power.

Given that what we have to lose - a liveable planet, future generations of all species being able to carry on enjoying and living on this tiny yet glorious scrap of life filled rock in what appears to be an otherwise life devoid universe -

Yup I am often pretty anxious, sad, and horribly dissapointed at the careless, and unthinking attitude of man'kind'.

Sort of imagined that once the problems were well enough known and understood, then effective collective* action would be taken. The alternative ways of doing things might be implemented, and encouraged.

Seems hard to keep hoping that that will happen in time now.
Maybe the youth can salvage something??

*You know - like enough of us 'snowflakes' would combine to form a snowball big enough to count - as it is we just get to watch glaciers melt.

Oh well - never mind - chin up - there's probably some vacuous nonsense on the internet I can distract myself with - I'll go and look at that instead ...

OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Yes a sufferer here.

Like many others, having heard about the problems of climate change decades ago, and having tried to do various things to mitigate my own carbon footprint

Plus more importantly maybe, being involved in, and supporting all sorts of campaigns and projects, voting Green etc etc - it's still the oil companies, and big easy profits first corps, who have trampled over, denied and rubbished the science, of what is happening.

Because monetary riches are more important than the natural wealth of our magnificent planet

Aided and abetted, of course, by successive governments, and business as usual world leaders who can only think of their five year terms, or enriching themselves, and their own corner of the globe, to gain power.

Given that what we have to lose - a liveable planet, future generations of all species being able to carry on enjoying and living on this tiny yet glorious scrap of life filled rock in what appears to be an otherwise life devoid universe -

Yup I am often pretty anxious, sad, and horribly dissapointed at the careless, and unthinking attitude of man'kind'.

Sort of imagined that once the problems were well enough known and understood, then effective collective* action would be taken. The alternative ways of doing things might be implemented, and encouraged.

Seems hard to keep hoping that that will happen in time now.
Maybe the youth can salvage something??

*You know - like enough of us 'snowflakes' would combine to form a snowball big enough to count - as it is we just get to watch glaciers melt.

Oh well - never mind - chin up - there's probably some vacuous nonsense on the internet I can distract myself with - I'll go and look at that instead ...
You are genuine not a media attention seeking type, hope your snowball happens , btw I try to do my bit too , take care

mudsticks

Veteran
You are genuine not a media attention seeking type, hope your snowball happens , btw I try to do my bit too , take care
Thank you, I will, whilst keeping on with whatever small part I can play.

There are people within the Extinction Rebellion / youth for climate groups who are specifically taking care of the mental health issues that can arise.
It's important work.

The sense of overwhelm and enormity of the problem, can lead to burn out and deep despair.

I don't often talk about this, but there was a woman in one of the groups that I'm part of, who cited her grief at destruction of the planet, as one of the reasons she took her own life.

Tragic, I know, could something more have been done for her?

For people who do truly care, and see the tragedy of what is happening, this is no small 'also ran' type issue, its fundamental stuff.

Similar for me too, and a deep concern at what my kids will have to deal with, and how it could hurt them.

Not flying would have been more possible if I'd not married someone from Japan, but we try to keep that to a minimum and travel by train to the UK, and bike/public transport for everything else.

Eating organic is difficult as organic food is seen as a 'luxury' with prices to match. It seems that in Germany you can either work in a social job and help people, or work for a profit first type company and earn eough to eat organic, but you can't do both.

mudsticks

Veteran
Similar for me too, and a deep concern at what my kids will have to deal with, and how it could hurt them.

Not flying would have been more possible if I'd not married someone from Japan, but we try to keep that to a minimum and travel by train to the UK, and bike/public transport for everything else.

Eating organic is difficult as organic food is seen as a 'luxury' with prices to match. It seems that in Germany you can either work in a social job and help people, or work for a profit first type company and earn eough to eat organic, but you can't do both.
Yup always conflicts in that area, same here with relatively low income - can't always do the 'right' thing.

But then the true cost of food is not accounted for in its shelf price.

We don't pay at source for the knock on effects of damaging practices - those costs are offloaded elsewhere - pollution, poor diets, and so forth.

Organic food costs are a better reflection of their actual value.

Plus there's that addition cost that the more ecologically concious farmers have to pay for organic certification.

So they have to pay for doing the right thing, and pass on that cost, it's skewed against them.

It's not equitable, or sustainable, but most people are stuck in the system as it is.

And then other things such as property can be massively overvalued, cos that makes investors 'rich'

Meanwhile, our general population can't afford to eat well, or in a planet friendly way.

We live in an upside down world.
Until we do 'true cost' accounting, instead of merely immediate £€$ bottom line, it will be ever thus.

Yup always conflicts in that area, same here with relatively low income - can't always do the 'right' thing.

But then the true cost of food is not accounted for in its shelf price.
I hear you: I even did a basic parmaculture course to try and learn to grow my own food but I don't have the time or money to make that work either. I'm still looking for a solution.

What annoys me is the people who try and preach at me that I "Should" buy organic food, then drive off in a 4x4...

But then the true cost of driving (and come to that, flying) isn't accunted for in the user price either.

[Edited: Using German word order again]

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bit of shouting and worrying ain't gonna save us, we're far too late for that.

mudsticks

Veteran
I hear you: I even did a basic parmaculture course to try and learn to grow my own food but I don't have the time or money to make that work either. I'm still looking for a solution.

What annoys me is the people who try and preach at me that I "Should" buy organic food, then drive off in a 4x4...

But then the true cost of driving (and come to that, flying) isn't accunted for in the user price either.

[Edited: Using German word order again]
Yup the problems, and their solutions are complicated.
They are there, but take some effort in rethinking our attitude.
Solutions have to be collectively implemented - but we don't seem so good at that:sad:

Just not sure that 'modern evolved man' is very well designed for this planet.

He wants all the short term conveniences, and luxuries.
Not really prepared to account for their consequences.

Like a bunch of spoilt teenagers at a house party, unlimited supplies to consume - someone else can pay for the consequences.

Ah well, never mind eh?? Weeding to crack on with :smile:

mudsticks

Veteran
Bit of shouting and worrying ain't gonna save us, we're far too late for that.
Well you may be right on the too late front.
That's often how I feel, in my darker moments.

So what do you do? Give up trying altogether?
Tell the kids "Your future is going down the toilet, don't even bother trying" ??

Maybe it is false hope, but could we at least look for some ways to power down in some way - retreat from our crazy ways with some grace, perhaps??

LeetleGreyCells

Cycliste en formation

I worry about what state the planet is going to be in for my kids and, eventually, their kids.

We've now started growing our own food on our recently acquired allotment plot. We are saving every jar we use for preserve making, yoghurt pots for plant pots, recycled wood for raised beds, trampoline tubes and hoolahoops for netting/poly framing, secondhand chicken wire for fencing and fruit cage. Even recycling a lot of our own waste or buying second hand (like the chicken wire), it still hasn't been cheap, but are far as I am concerned, these are initial set-up costs. Other than seeds, everything I've bought has come from Facebook Marketplace, for new from Wilko's. Once I've done this for two to three years, I'll recoup what I've invested. I'm even hoping to gather my own seeds for future use so I don't have to buy packets. It's a long term project with a lot of learning involved which I am enjoying and will have great tasting and chemical-free food (fingers crossed for great tasting!).

Top Bottom