The roads -fuel £ up, speed down, congestion down, journeys quicker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BBC breakfast said something about that, good ain't it;)

gavintc

Guru
I wish I had kept the reference. When I was doing my post grad diploma in Transport Management, our lecturer informed us that a study had proved that the most effective speed giving the max number vehicles past a point was at 18 mph. Any faster, the gaps between cars increases to offset the increased speed. The variable speed control on the M25 is an example of this working. The speed can be controlled down to maximise the flow.

LLB

gavintc said:
I wish I had kept the reference. When I was doing my post grad diploma in Transport Management, our lecturer informed us that a study had proved that the most effective speed giving the max number vehicles past a point was at 18 mph. Any faster, the gaps between cars increases to offset the increased speed. The variable speed control on the M25 is an example of this working. The speed can be controlled down to maximise the flow.

To avoid the caterpillar effect ?

Renard

I can remember how pleasant it was to drive during the fuel blockades. No-one seemed to be exceeding 60mph on the mway and the traffic flowed beautifully.

jasper

It seems that less people are on the roads and those that are are driving more slowly. The result being that congestion is going down and journeys are quicker.
Until the kids go back to school, then there'll be loads of extra cars on the road...

spindrift

How many houses did you say you had Spinners ?

I didn't, and it's got **** all to do with you, and stop pursuing your grubby little stalking campaign here you disgusting little creep.

My car seems to do the same mpg at 70 as it does at 55.

My big gripe with the world is the speed drivers go around roundabouts at.
On bigger roundabouts people bomb around them at 40mph stopping anyone else pulling out. In the morning you can get every junction tailed back but just three cars at a time zooming around a big roundabout. If they all went slow it could be packed full of cars and traffic would be able to just keep joining it. But they do not seem to understand they need to wait for a huge gap if the cars are going at 40mph but then as soon as they get a gap they are off zooming around at 40 too!

If you go slow then you get tailgated and cut up.

Lots of bikes on the roundabout would actually speed up the traffic flow.

bonk man

Over The Hill said:
My car seems to do the same mpg at 70 as it does at 55.

My big gripe with the world is the speed drivers go around roundabouts at.
On bigger roundabouts people bomb around them at 40mph stopping anyone else pulling out. In the morning you can get every junction tailed back but just three cars at a time zooming around a big roundabout. If they all went slow it could be packed full of cars and traffic would be able to just keep joining it. But they do not seem to understand they need to wait for a huge gap if the cars are going at 40mph but then as soon as they get a gap they are off zooming around at 40 too!

If you go slow then you get tailgated and cut up.

Lots of bikes on the roundabout would actually speed up the traffic flow.

Now ..... funny you should mention roundabouts because...
http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/3694947.COMMENT__No_wonder_drivers_are_a_bit_confused/

guess which comments were mine:tongue:

It amazes me that someone like Logik can get his knuckles far enough up from the floor to open a car door.
God help anyone on the road in front of him!

Unfortunately the 'kill to progress' brigade seems to be increasing these days.

Top Bottom