The sale of fireworks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

I love fireworks, and always have. My children are now grown up and left the nest: but we still have fireworks in our garden.

BUT

Why must fireworks on public sale be so LOUD ? You can have really stunning pyrotechnics without huge bangs. That's what really annoys me: neighbours who insist on letting of really loud fireworks, usually very late at night (midnight, for example)

Fireworks should be available to responsible members of the public (ie not teenagers!) for use in their gardens. An as such they should be small, low-power things, pretty and quiet!!

Big fireworks should be available only to professional pyrotechnicians for properly organised events.

Like the one at the Shanlikn Regatta: utterly fantastic!

Cheers

Big Bren

I concur with the OP; fireworks have become a year-round public nuisance and should be banned from public sale.

Bren

ChrisKH

Guru
And who hasn't got a domineering, opinionated, Daily Mail reading MIL (who knows everything, but does nothing). Doesn't it go with the territory?

domtyler

Über Member
As above, can't quite figure out the logic of allowing explosive/incendiary devices to be openly sold to bored, stoned and drunken youths for use on our streets.

col

Legendary Member
I agree they should not be available to the public as easily as they are.And im sorry to say,i too find the big display the council puts on a bit boring now,is it an age thing i wonder?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
At least we were sort of responsible firwork users when we were kids... only ever endangered ourselves by lighting then riding over bangers before they went off:ohmy::blush:;)
Local display here is occasionally incompetenly amusing... rockets falling over and going off sideways...bonfire too close to a wood, which got set on fire, etc ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think fireworks on sale to the public should simply be limited in power - the classic "slightly disappointing, but still exciting to a small child" type. And no bangers. Can't see the point of them.

Last year was the first time I ever lit a firework other than a sparkler (aged 37). About five of us gathered at the house of a friends with a small garden, armed with a small box of fireworks and sparklers. We did it all properly - one at a time, bucket of water on hand, oven gloves, everyone but the lighter stand well back.... It was tremendous fun, and none of the fireworks were very loud. I'd happily have had children present, and taught them the right way to do it. I'd be sorry for that pleasure to be removed from future generations of careful people.

But if it comes down to the overall good, and people can't moderate themselves, so be it, and ban sales to the public. Public displays are always more impressive anyway.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I know they can be dangerous, etc etc, but I can't help comparing with experiences abroad... one night in Spain, by a lake, group of Spanish chums, barbecue, wine, out come the rockets...each one lit and launched from the hand... totally normal, no sense of danger, no culture of being scared of them....

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
And who hasn't got a domineering, opinionated, Daily Mail reading MIL (who knows everything, but does nothing). Doesn't it go with the territory?

No. The woman who comes closest to being my mother in law is a rather hippyish lady, rather wishywashy (in terms of ever making a decision) and utterly gentle...

ChrisKH

Guru
Arch said:
No. The woman who comes closest to being my mother in law is a rather hippyish lady, rather wishywashy (in terms of ever making a decision) and utterly gentle...

I want one of those! I don't think my MIL could spell 'gentle'. To her credit she had a terrible upbringing, so in some respect she may be a product of it.

Top Bottom