The still nasty party....

And all we seem able to do - is stand and wonder at the awfulness of it all.

I'm starting to think maybe they did put something in the water supply.

Unrelentingly ghastly, the whole lot of them.
Every single one of them is voted for by the great British voters.

Perhaps if voters looked at the person and their actions, rather than just the colour of their rosette, at re-election time, they might not last long enough to get put into a position of great responsibility.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Perhaps if voters looked at the person and their actions, rather than just the colour of their rosette, at re-election time, they might not last long enough to get put into a position of great responsibility.
That's a very nice 'perhaps' wouldn't that be a fine thing...

We had a very long serving, hardworking, locally experienced candidate standing in our ward, as an independent.

She came very close to winning, but not quite, despite all our best efforts.

Instead we get the parachuted in blue rossetted donkey who doesn't have a clue, and votes precisely the way his party tells him to.

Hence the need for actual representation.

And for the electorate to 'perhaps' give slightly more of a shoot about politics than do about football (or whatever)

Apologies for the 'intellectual snobbery' there one and all.

Rocky

Reprobate

We had a very long serving, hardworking, locally experienced candidate standing in our ward, as an independent.

Instead we get the parachuted in blue rossetted donkey who doesn't have a clue, and votes precisely the way his party tells him to.

And for the electorate to 'perhaps' give slightly more of a shoot about politics than do about football (or whatever)

I’m all for a bit of intellectual snobbery now and again......it can be good for the soul.

Then the "we" and "our best efforts" weren't enough to carry the day, and that is part of our democracy, flawed as it is. Until we are mature enough to look for something better than constituency fptp.

It is a perpetual problem for leftist, or greenish, supporters in a traditional Tory seat and also for the reverse. So many people do not feel represented.

Any form of democracy has to rely on the engagement of the electorate, and that is its weakness as well as its strength, and is better than any attempt to rule out certain voters.

One issue with Independent candidates is they are just that, Independent, and sometimes their ability lies in their personal drive and abilities, and I am not sure how they would fit in to a PR type system. Are they independent, but right leaning or independent but left leaning, or neither. Who would choose which Independents to represent them all, or is that a contradiction in terms?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Then the "we" and "our best efforts" weren't enough to carry the day, and that is part of our democracy, flawed as it is. Until we are mature enough to look for something better than constituency fptp.

It is a perpetual problem for leftist, or greenish, supporters in a traditional Tory seat and also for the reverse. So many people do not feel represented.

Any form of democracy has to rely on the engagement of the electorate, and that is its weakness as well as its strength, and is better than any attempt to rule out certain voters.

One issue with Independent candidates is they are just that, Independent, and sometimes their ability lies in their personal drive and abilities, and I am not sure how they would fit in to a PR type system. Are they independent, but right leaning or independent but left leaning, or neither. Who would choose which Independents to represent them all, or is that a contradiction in terms?

Maybe it's time to reanimated this thread.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/would-pr-or-equivalent-be-better-for-democracy.255746/

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That thread is one word long.

"Yes"
Only took us 19 pages to establish that though.

Threads on the woes of defective cotter pins have run into their hundreds.

I'm sure we could squeeze a bit more juice out of the topic, yet .

Especially now, that it seems even more pressing..

matticus

Über Member

Political thought has changed since my early days as an activist. In those days people mostly did vote for a candidate on their merits but now they vote for a party or now even more a party leader and the candidate is irrelevant. There were exceptions where a chimpanzee with a red tie would get in [and often did].

Political thought has changed since my early days as an activist. In those days people mostly did vote for a candidate on their merits but now they vote for a party or now even more a party leader and the candidate is irrelevant. There were exceptions where a chimpanzee with a red tie would get in [and often did].
It still happens, whether the rosette is red or blue. That's the only possible excuse for having so many incompetent clowns in parliament

It still happens, whether the rosette is red or blue. That's the only possible excuse for having so many incompetent clowns in parliament
Yes I should have widened my remark but my experience was mainly in urban left leaning constituencies so did not pay enough attention to other areas as I should have.

Top Bottom