The still nasty party....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirrus

Peace process ? Thought we might have moved on a little....
One would have hoped so, but petrol bombs are still being thrown and Lyra McKee isn't with us any more.

So some from both sides seem to be a little stuck.

Reactions: C R

Adam4868

Guru
I think that, being cynical, Sinn Fein lost a golden opportunity here to place themselves in the moral high ground, instead they handed the unionists a stick to beat them with. Idiots the lot of them.
I think there's a fair bit of a difference to be honest.
Although it was stupid..It's feck all to do with a funeral...it's Unionism getting what they voted for with a bit of a drugs war for good measure.

DRM

Veteran
I had no wish to be associated with the Butcher's Apron and while we had to swear allegiance to somebody or other it was done with ill grace as there was no option if you wished to be a Boy Scout or a cub either.
It was just a youth organisation which but with emphasis on outdoors which I liked.
Even pre teen I did not believe that I was British/English. I was Scottish.
So why is it that Scottish Scouts can wear the Saltire on their uniform, Welsh can have the Flag of Wales, yet English Scouts can’t have the St George’s flag on their uniform, The Union Flag being reserved for those on international visits/camps, every troop the length and breadth of the land salutes the Union Flag at Flag break. after all, they are all in the same gang, having been at one weekend away where a Scottish Explorer unit were invited down to go hill walking in North Yorkshire, it only took one nationalistic individual, spouting anti English bile at every opportunity to sour the whole thing, even his Scottish mates were sick of him by the end of it, bile that gets passed down from generation to generation, look to Northern Ireland to see where that gets you.

So why is it that Scottish Scouts can wear the Saltire on their uniform, Welsh can have the Flag of Wales, yet English Scouts can’t have the St George’s flag on their uniform, The Union Flag being reserved for those on international visits/camps, every troop the length and breadth of the land salutes the Union Flag at Flag break. after all, they are all in the same gang, having been at one weekend away where a Scottish Explorer unit were invited down to go hill walking in North Yorkshire, it only took one nationalistic individual, spouting anti English bile at every opportunity to sour the whole thing, even his Scottish mates were sick of him by the end of it, bile that gets passed down from generation to generation, look to Northern Ireland to see where that gets you.
This story about one individual gets trotted out regularly. Load of rubbish IMO.
The Scouts are a very English organisation and should have their own flag on their uniforms but the problem is that so many think British means English or vice versa.
Many if not most English think it is synonymous with British.
I was often told in foreign countries that I must be English as my passport said British and they insisted this was what they had to write in their records.
In those days if a passport application gave English as nationality that is what the passport said but if the nationality was given as Scottish or Welsh it was put as British.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Isn't the prime minister taking the chance of an awkward photo opportunity in Northern Ireland then?
He could be over there driving a petrol-bombed bus or something, after all he's so fond of making them out of boxes or putting slogans on them.

Maybe he's only confident with badly mopping the floor of a shop, hiding in a fridge or fumbling about with covid test kits and not able to exhibit real leadership.

You know what? Scrap the 'maybe'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom