The UK should become a Republic

The current froth highlights the fundamental unBritishness of the Royal Family.

An institution above democratic control or proper scrutiny which allocates privilege, income and influence at birth offends the fundamental values of the British people.

An institution which faces accusations of racism and sexual abuse without accountability to respond is unacceptable.

An institution which condemns individuals to a life of outrageous press intrusion and a predetermined role from childhood will always be invidious to the mental health and well being of its members.

A medieval system of governance which infantilises the country by insisting we, the people cannot be trusted to choose our own leaders but require a paternalistic overseer to guarantee our rights is a farce.

We should adopt an Irish model of a largely ceremonial head of state. I nominate Sandi Toksvig.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/President_of_Ireland

Discuss.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I nominate Sandi Toksvig.
I nominate William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor, currently styled as a prince, with a deputy role for his charming wife Catherine Elizabeth.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My bold.

An institution above democratic control or proper scrutiny which allocates privilege, income and influence at birth offends the fundamental values of the British people. - Seems very British to me, this is exactly what the British people seemed to have wanted over the centuries.

An institution which faces accusations of racism and sexual abuse without accountability to respond is unacceptable. - Cannot respond or will not respond, do they have anything to actually respond to? There has been no direct allegation, let alone proof.

An institution which condemns individuals to a life of outrageous press intrusion and a predetermined role from childhood will always be invidious to the mental health and well being of its members. Agreed, although it seems the 'firm' uses the press as much as they are 'abused' by it. They have to option to not get involved or walk away, but do that whilst courting the press they seem to hate seems a bit weird.

A medieval system of governance which infantilises the country by insisting we, the people cannot be trusted to choose our own leaders but require a paternalistic overseer to guarantee our rights is a farce. Largely ceremonial, after all if Boris can get away with lying to Liz's face without comeback is it all not just tradition?

We should adopt an Irish model of a largely ceremonial head of state. I nominate Sandi Toksvig. We already have a largely ceremonial head of state, let's keep that, but slim down all the hangers on, have just enough of them to keep the tourist money flowing in.

Discuss.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Constitutional monarchies work for Sweden, Norway, Canada, the Netherlands, Spain, Japan, Australia and Belgium among others. Seems to work ok.

Low Gear Guy

Über Member
Yeah but think of the economic boost to the companies selling plastic tat every time one of them gets married or drops a sprog. Old dead Frenchies with their head in a basket cannot do that.
We need less plastic tat filling up landfills and the sea.

BoldonLad

Veteran

An institution above democratic control or proper scrutiny which allocates privilege, income and influence at birth offends the fundamental values of the British people.

An institution which faces accusations of racism and sexual abuse without accountability to respond is unacceptable.

An institution which condemns individuals to a life of outrageous press intrusion and a predetermined role from childhood will always be invidious to the mental health and well being of its members.

A medieval system of governance which infantilises the country by insisting we, the people cannot be trusted to choose our own leaders but require a paternalistic overseer to guarantee our rights is a farce.

We should adopt an Irish model of a largely ceremonial head of state. I nominate Sandi Toksvig.

Discuss.
No problem with ditching the monarchy, but, would like to see the House of Lords go too.

An elected head of State and Second Chamber would be my preference, rather than something just for show.

If we are going for "largely ceremonial", why change?

Top Bottom