The UK should become a Republic

HMS_Dave

Pillock
Gawd knows why the Australians / Canadians / New Zealanders still have the British monarch as their head of state, although I think that could change fairly quickly once Liz has popped her clogs.
There are membership benefits that surpass simply bowing to a well spoken old lady...

It's no EU of course and isn't pretending or intending to be. But i wouldn't mind betting some have been happy to receive consular assistance from Britain as a member of the Commonwealth in times gone by...

OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Veteran
There are membership benefits that surpass simply bowing to a well spoken old lady...

It's no EU of course and isn't pretending or intending to be. But i wouldn't mind betting some have been happy to receive consular assistance from Britain as a member of the Commonwealth in times gone by...
Not quite sure the point you're making, but you don't have to have Liz as head of state to be in the Commonwealth.

If other countries want to keep the Saxe-Coburg Gotha's after we've ditched them, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

HMS_Dave

Pillock
Not quite sure the point you're making, but you don't have to have Liz as head of state to be in the Commonwealth.

If other countries want to keep the Saxe-Coburg Gotha's after we've ditched them, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.
No but she is the Head Of The Commonwealth, whether she is your Head Of State or not....

OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Veteran
A citizen of the Commonwealth that in a foreign country finds themselves in needs of consular/embassy assistance can seek help from a British one where there is no representation from their own country...
Ah. OK. Didn't know that, thanks. So what's this got to do with our head of state - you're not suggesting that Liz does this personally?

HMS_Dave

Pillock
Ah. OK. Didn't know that, thanks. So what's this got to do with our head of state - you're not suggesting that Liz does this personally?
Actually, im going one step further. Im suggesting that Liz gets on a viking longship solo. And rows specifically to the destination of the Commonwealth citizen in need and bangs a few heads together to get what needs to be done, done. Then "high fives" the commonwealth citizen and signs a few autographs...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Actually, im going one step further. Im suggesting that Liz gets on a viking longship solo. And rows specifically to the destination of the Commonwealth citizen in need and bangs a few heads together to get what needs to be done, done. Then "high fives" the commonwealth citizen and signs a few autographs...
I heard she's got her own F35 jet for that role nowadays. Haven't you heard of theQueen's Flight?

monkers

Über Member
I dunno if this will surpise or interest people at all? There are 54 countries that are members of the Commonwealth.

Pan-Commonwealth
There are 54 members of the Commonwealth in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Americas, Europe and the Pacific.
Africa
Asia
Caribbean and Americas
Europe
Pacific
The last Charter of the Commonwealth was signed off by Liz in 2013. You can see it here if you happen to be interested.
https://thecommonwealth.org/sites/default/files/page/documents/CharteroftheCommonwealth.pdf

OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Veteran
Right. Now I get it. I immediately withdraw my unpatriotic suggestion and will genuflect before whichever of the many progeny of the mighty Saxe-Cogburg Gotha's is currently resting their wrinkled buttocks upon our nation's throne in order that the natives can still have that Viking longship riding monarch ride to their rescue.

There's a fair bit of contradiction right there in that paragraph.

Second: "a constitutional monarchy amyway" immediately followed by, without so much as pausing for breath, "We've had kings and queens in Britain for at least 3000 years." Almost all of whom could in no way be described as "constitutional".
The Saxon kings were elected by the Wittan.

Top Bottom