The Ultimate Growler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yesterday I had my first encounter with Aplletons of Ripon's wares.

I'd previously used Taylors of Darlington as the benchmark of excellence but Appletons' pies are just out of this world with a light, firm crust and a perfectly spiced filling that does not detract from the flavour of the pork.

A return journey is called for.....

Oh and their sausages rolls are top of the rating too..

Any local competitors worth investigation?

I've done Voakes of Whixley, Weegmans of Otley, the shop in Skipton, Taylors of Darlington, a local but unidentified maker who supplies the butcher in Sticker Lane Bradford, Bothams of Whitby, Wilsons of Leeds and Pearsons of Ingleton. Supermarket sourced pies just don't deliver.

longers

Legendary Member
Cockfields farm and aquarium in Ashton do some very nice ones from their own pigs. After the ride out to Sheffield recently with Dan, Fossy and Crimmey it was very hard to get past without calling in. They don't do fish pies though.

The post office in Over Kellet did some good ones that had an apple topping instead of pastry, don't think they still do them.

I like the mini Melton Mowbray type ones from supermarkets as a ride snack but they should be bought in advance and kick around in a pannier or saddlebag for a few miles to let them breath first. Or get sweaty.

Growlers mean something else to some people.

Top Bottom