The Ultimate Jeremy Corbyn Thread

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by theclaud, 24 Feb 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

I meant the Panorama programme, not a Guardian report, but the Guardian has published more than its share of hatchet-job pieces.

And re media ownership:

Just three companies (News UK, Daily Mail Group and Reach) dominate 83% of the national newspaper market (up from 71% in 2015). When online readers are included, just five companies (News UK, Daily Mail Group, Reach, Guardian and Telegraph) dominate nearly 80% of the market, slightly up from our last report.
    (Media Reform Coalition, 2019)

Pluralism in media is healthy. Trump didn't invent the concept of elites, and pretending they don't exist just because he pretends not to be amongst them is, well... silly.

2. OP
    OP
    theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Sorry, started typing whilst post I was replying to still existed...

3. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Do you have believe or have any evidence to say that these "disaffected former party officials" have long wanted to oust Corbyn or are you just parroting the knee-jerk party response of attacking the messengers and ignoring the message?

If there is evidence to confirm they long wanted to oust Corbyn it will no doubt be produced by Labour.

P.S. I am not saying it is impossible for these officials to have a history of anti-Corbyn leanings, but I really would despair for the journalistic credibility of the BBC if they had not investigated that first before choosing them for the programme.

Last edited: 12 Jul 2019
  4. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Why do Labour insist on NDAs for their staff when they campaign to have NDAs outlawed?

SteveF likes this.
  5. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

https://www.channel4.com/news/factc...adict-themselves-on-non-disclosure-agreements

You do have to marvel at the fluidity of political positions that morph to suit the current needs of a Party - Labour do not have a monopoly on this either.

Basically, politicians say whatever suits them or what they think we want to hear.

And, more to the point, they think we cannot see through their shenanigans.

lane, SteveF, johnblack and 1 other person like this.
  6. johnblack

johnblack Well-Known Member

This basically sums up the modern politician, fluid and flexible, able to turn 180 at a moments notice, the question is always what do I need to do to gain more power rather than the belief in a set of principles that can lead me to power.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  7. Kajjal

Kajjal Veteran

Which to a degree has always happened but now with Trump etc, it is far, far worse. The problem is a great many just react emotionally and don’t stop to think. There have always been a variety of views on any issue it just takes time to look at the facts and form an opinion. Too often people pick a side and just flag wave by instinct taking up increasingly ridiculous positions rather than changing their view as events and facts move on. Below while not the Labour Party is a very clear example of this.

(Not sure why farage appears twice, once was bad enough.)

perplexed, SpokeyDokey and C R like this.
  8. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Oh really? Please do a detailed analysis and point out exactly where these tropes are, then...

What it's actually doing is pointing out the involvement of Israeli state propaganda / disinformation in this mess. The Israeli state has one of the world's most effective such operations, indeed its secret services more generally are widely admired / feared, and generally considered to be up there with those of the USA, Russia and the UK, and in fact are in many ways superior.

An old friend of mine, and independent film-maker who has worked in Israel / Palestine consistently for over 20 years and was formerly a journalist on Egypt's English-language newspaper, called this article, and I quote "The first sensible thing I've read on the subject" - but then what would he know, right?

9. Diogenes

Yeah, everything is down to Israel. it's a conspiracy. The problem comes when you spend your life blaming Israel for anything and everything, base your political (or journalistic) career on it, you lose objectivity.

Here's an example where Islamists had just murdered 16 Egyptian border guards in 2012. Who did Corbyn blame? Why, who else?

View: https://youtu.be/KW2r3ZmVcRM

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-after-border-massacre-idUSBRE8740JB20120806

Cycleops likes this.
  10. Kajjal

Kajjal Veteran

Possibly you should take your own advice on objectivity, when every comment is a criticism of Corbyn and you cannot without sarcasm think of anything positive or objective to mention about him. Meanwhile this person in government is about to become our actual PM.

11. Diogenes

But this is a thread specifically about Corbyn, started to discuss Corbyn and in which numerous Corbyn-related issues have been talked about. I am highly critical of Corbyn, it stands to reason I would voice my criticisms of the man in the thread on this forum specifically created for that purpose.

I see you're posting about Boris Johnson.

12. Kajjal

Kajjal Veteran

That’s fine but you were complaining about losing objectivity and have now just openly declared you are highly critical of Corbyn. That is the problem when rather than considering a variety of views you simply lash yourself to the mast of one view which always leads to taking increasingly extreme positions to justify it. You also confirm you think the purpose of this thread is purely to criticise Corbyn, but most see it as a way to discuss the various issues that come up without a determined preconceived bias. It just means unfortunately every post is seen as a gloating I hate Corbyn rather than objectively looking at all views which is a shame.

13. Diogenes

Trevor Phillips: It is possible that Mr Corbyn and his team genuinely can’t see what all the fuss is about. Most people believe themselves innocent of prejudice.

rEXCJMs_?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
    Labour’s inaction on anti-Semitism is shameful
    ft.com

4:20 PM · Jul 12, 2019 · SocialFlow
    Retweets

d9kWP4h5_bigger.jpg
    JonPegasus

@JonPegasus

·
    21h

Replying to
    @FinancialTimes
    and
    @Danish_Karen
    It's true that Corbyn is as thick as two short planks, but his racist remarks on "irony" and the conspiratorial "hand of Israel" were no accidents, nor his platform sharing with genocidal racists chanting "JIHAD, JIHAD, JIHAD!" and Holocaust deniers.

XNO2IPAH?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
    Jeremy Corbyn's 10-year association with group which denies the Holocaust
    telegraph.co.uk

14. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

So now the recriminations and infighting begin.
    Corbyn instead of saying what he wants to do to put things right decided to go on the attack saying the Panorama people came along with "predetermined position" before the programme was aired and it contained "many inaccuracies". He spouts the same old, same old guff “Antisemitism is a poison, it is vile, it is wrong,” and “It is a poison in our society and any other society … It is not acceptable in any form.” Trouble is he's said it so many times whilst doing nothing effective that nobody believes him any more.
    Diane Abbott called on Watson to “consider your position”, while John McDonnell, shadow chancellor, criticised Mr Watson for “using the media” to attack Corbyn ally Jennie Formby, when “he knows she’s undergoing chemotherapy”.
    In opposing his boss Watson knows exactly what he's doing but we'll just have to see how it all pans out. I wonder if he'll be phased by being called a "f*****g disgrace" by comrade Len?

Last edited: 13 Jul 2019
  15. Hitchington

Hitchington Lovely stuff

No one said EVERYTHING is down to Israel, did they? But what the Israeli government is responsible for is disinformation, propaganda and the ability to effectively pull the wool over the eyes of a significant section of the British media.

Bromptonaut and theclaud like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice