The Ultimate Jeremy Corbyn Thread

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by theclaud, 24 Feb 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Well, quite... I don't recognise some of the chosen interviewees, but they include Iain McNicol, Ella Rose, Adam Langleben and that half-witted, spineless spod that you can actually watch upthread helping Joan Ryan to cook up false accusations against members. The latter three appear in teary montages of testimony, with no mention of who they are. Which would indicate not that the BBC didn't know who they were, but that it suited the purpose of the documentary not to say. Frankly, your studied innocence on the subject is wearisome.

2. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

Anyhoo, now that the messengers have been put up against the wall and shot, what are people's thoughts on the Labour idea of setting inheritance tax at £125,000? The average house price in the UK is £236,000 which would lead to a tax bill of over £44,000 payable within 6 months. Is this fair? What about the idea of a lifetime £125,000 inheritance limit? - https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...hreat-inheritance-125k-lifetime-gift-tax.html

3. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

Whereas I am in awe of your unbiased, balanced stance.

Cycleops and Bromptonaut like this.
  4. Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut Rohan Man

This is Money is a Daily Mail owned brand. Like a lot of Mail web content trying to see through the outrage and get to the facts is a Herculean task.

Reform of the present system is long overdue. Whether a lifetime allowance is the right sort of reform or, if it is right £125k is the appropriate level, is up for discussion.

The problem with a lifetime allowance is tracking it's use. In last ten years of her life my Mother gave me gifts of a few hundred pounds here and there towards a holiday or some costly household item. Do those count? What if they're out of surplus income rather than capital?

theclaud likes this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

They are Mossad agents of course, surprised you didn't clock that.

6. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

That story, with those limits and the idea of tracking, comes from the Daily Mail, which of course has no agenda against Labour. I will be keeping an eye on this one though because what McDonald proposes has to be sensible and it has to be accompanied by making life more affordable for today's youth, such that parental/grandparental support is not the lifeline that it's become. Anything that falls short of that simply won't do.

theclaud and Bromptonaut like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    theclaud

A completely irrelevant response to what I posted. Especially odd considering that I have never claimed to be unbiased, or even 'balanced'. Unlike the BBC, whose claims to authority rest on an almost fanatical adherence to an (in my view spurious) concept of balance which is proving deeply damaging , both to the quality of public discourse and to public trust in the institution.

8. OP
    OP
    theclaud

:o)Well, no, obviously, but Rose does like to fantasize about being some kind of Erran Morad figure.

9. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

It was only a response to the final, deliberately offensive, sentence to explain that, in contrast, I never grow weary of your predictable outrage at criticism of the Corbyn project.

Personally I do not worry if some individual documentary makers have an agenda. Some of the best documentaries have been made by people with agendas, such as John Pilger in the dim and distant past. The BBC shows balance, or at least a chip on both shoulders, in that is regularly criticised for its stance from both the left and right, recently by Johnson, SYL and Farage It is unnecessary and extremely anodyne for every individual programme to be a neutral, balanced piece of work. As far as I saw the BBC explained that it had asked senior Labour officials to take part but none of them did, other than a token MP, Andrew Gwynne (who, incidentally, has admitted to being on a Facebook group that shared racist material, although according to him, without his knowledge, so that's OK)....... I just chucked that last bit in to show how easy it is to find smears to label anyone who appeared on the programme as some sort of "ist".

Dx9Se5CWkAUhCYl.jpg

10. OP
    OP
    theclaud

LOL what a load of egregious waffle to justify a demonstrable hatchet-job and pisspoor excuse for documentary film-making. I'll give you enough credit to assume the comparison with Pilger is ironic. Anyway, never mind - this grotesque coalition of the Labour right and Israeli propaganda lobby has well and truly jumped the shark, and in my view is making another version of the same mistake it's been making ever since it first wet its pants when Corbyn won the leadership - underestimating people's critical faculties and being drunk on their own sense of entitlement.

11. Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails We remember

egregious
    /ɪˈɡriːdʒəs/
    adjective

1. 1.
      outstandingly bad; shocking.
      "egregious abuses of copyright"
      synonyms: shocking, appalling, horrific, horrifying, horrible, terrible, awful, dreadful, grievous, gross, ghastly, hideous, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous; More
    2. 2.
      ARCHAIC
      remarkably good.

Can I take it you don't mean egregious in the archaic sense?

I love the use of mixed metaphors to make a point. Just picturing the grotesque coalition drunkenly jumping the shark while wetting their pants makes me smile.

12. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Okay, so you acknowledge they were Mossad agents.

13. Diogenes

14. Diogenes

15. OP
    OP
    theclaud

:laugh:

tenor.gif

[Gif shows a well-known image from the series Futurama, commonly used in a meme to indicate that one is not sure whether one's antagonist is entirely in earnest]

brodiej, Bromptonaut and Mugshot like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice