The ultimate Sir Keir Starmer thread

SpokeyDokey

Into my 64th
Reading this:

https://keirstarmer.com/plans/10-pledges/

Where is the new Labour approach that will not only win back defected Labour voters but new voters who traditionally vote Conservative?

Sounds pretty much like same old same old Labour to me.

Nothing in there that is business friendly that would woo myself and probably many others in the direction of Labour. Ditto no talk of economic prosperity for the Nation. I've no idea when it was published but I'm assuming it would be in the Brexit era but, again, no mention of making the best of it or taking advantage of it depending on viewpoint.

SteveF

Veteran
This could be put in either the Boris thread or this, I though this interesting, comparing voters values against their MPs:

https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1277380923760279557

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Reading this:

https://keirstarmer.com/plans/10-pledges/

Where is the new Labour approach that will not only win back defected Labour voters but new voters who traditionally vote Conservative?

Sounds pretty much like same old same old Labour to me.

Nothing in there that is business friendly that would woo myself and probably many others in the direction of Labour. Ditto no talk of economic prosperity for the Nation. I've no idea when it was published but I'm assuming it would be in the Brexit era but, again, no mention of making the best of it or taking advantage of it depending on viewpoint.
As a business person there's nothing in here that scares me.

Social justice, and truly equal opportunities in education, and progression etc isn't anti- business, quite the reverse I'd say.

Social inequity, and hardship, is a drain and a drag on our economy.

Quite aside from its blighting individual lives.

Rejoining the EU would be far better for business of course.
The vast majority of business leaders, and economists would agree.

Apart from those who believe a low grade, low tax and regulation economy would be good for their individual business in the short term.

And never mind the wider costs and consequences to society.

I'd like to see an even greater emphasis on environment, tackling climate change, and making our economic structures and national and international trade far more equitable and sustainable.

But there's nothing in there that would scare me off voting for them.

Looks pretty Lib Dem to me, if anything .

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Looks pretty Lib Dem to me, if anything
Hardly. I don't think they'd advocate renationalisation or unionisation. It's basically the 2019 Labour manifesto, minus the good bits of anti Brexit, which are now a lost cause, and minus all the accretions and special pleadings that wound up in there because whoever wrote it couldn't say no to anyone.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Hardly. I don't think they'd advocate renationalisation or unionisation. It's basically the 2019 Labour manifesto, minus the good bits of anti Brexit, which are now a lost cause, and minus all the accretions and special pleadings that wound up in there because whoever wrote it couldn't say no to anyone.
Were / are the Lib Dems against unionisation?

This according to a TUC critique of the Lib Dem manifesto.

"" There’s a long overdue plan to give unions a right of access to workplaces - but no mention of the stronger collective bargaining rights that workers need to ensure that we can maximise the value trade unions bring. ""

Not a resounding endorsement, but hardly an accusation of being 'anti Union' either.
Kind of muddling along the middle way as per, I'd say.

Lib Dem policy on renationalisation, of essential services, another issue for teabreak investigation perhaps.

If I can get my boss to agree to me having one.. :blush:

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

Into my 64th
As a business person there's nothing in here that scares me.

Social justice, and truly equal opportunities in education, and progression etc isn't anti- business, quite the reverse I'd say.

Social inequity, and hardship, is a drain and a drag on our economy.

Quite aside from its blighting individual lives.

Rejoining the EU would be far better for business of course.
The vast majority of business leaders, and economists would agree.

Apart from those who believe a low grade, low tax and regulation economy would be good for their individual business in the short term.

And never mind the wider costs and consequences to society.

I'd like to see an even greater emphasis on environment, tackling climate change, and making our economic structures and national and international trade far more equitable and sustainable.

But there's nothing in there that would scare me off voting for them.

Looks pretty Lib Dem to me, if anything .
5/7/8/10 are deal breakers for me.

Try as I might I can't read anything that is pro-business in there.

theclaud

It's teeceegawnmaaaad

They're the pledges from his leadership campaign. They are not aimed at you. They were aimed at convincing left-wing Labour members that he wasn't go tear up the transformative social democratic programme they spent the last five years building. Ask us how that's going...

Adam4868

Guru
Obviously I'd vote for him but feck he's boring...or is that what being forensic is ? Does he actually have opinions on anything.Still we've plenty of time :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

I guess it depends on whether you believe good business operates in a vacuum.

Or that social justice, and good business can't be working on the same page.

5 Public services in public hands, not run for private profit.. Gets my vote, most people feel that way about the NHS.

7 Workers rights up held.. Yup seems fair especially if you are a worker .

8.Radicsl devolution of power, wealth etc, back to local government and regions, through taxation and other systems
Well overdue imo.

10 Effective opposition,
Well, of course..
Do we want a one party state??

Preferably more than one opposition, but hey you can't have it all..

Top Bottom