The ultimate Sir Keir Starmer thread

Remember when it was "if we had a decent leader we'd be 20 points ahead".....
I don't recall that quote. ,...perhaps you can link it ?

20 point leads in opinion polls are very rare. Maggie 1983 and Blair 1997 are two such instances.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
I don't recall that quote. ,...perhaps you can link it ?

20 point leads in opinion polls are very rare. Maggie 1983 and Blair 1997 are two such instances.
Ill agree that we shouldn't take any notice of this piece of sh1t though....

Meanwhile let's not forget about Mandleson and his work for Labour.....
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...on-i-try-to-undermine-jeremy-corbyn-every-day

Ill agree that we shouldn't take any notice of this piece of sh1t though....
View attachment 574001
Meanwhile let's not forget about Mandleson and his work for Labour.....
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...on-i-try-to-undermine-jeremy-corbyn-every-day
Touche.

I do fear you are falling into the divide and rule trap though. If the labour party is fighting itself, momentum v the mods - the Tories clean up time after time.

Your fire seems directed more at starmer than Johnson. Which is exactly what he wants.

Adam4868

Guru
Touche.

I do fear you are falling into the divide and rule trap though. If the labour party is fighting itself, momentum v the mods - the Tories clean up time after time.

Your fire seems directed more at starmer than Johnson. Which is exactly what he wants.
Lol....it doesn't come close to what I feel about the Torys ! As for Momentum v the Mods whatever that is....I haven't a clue.I just don't want more of the same.Ill be critical of him until he actually wakes up and shows he has at least a pulse.

the snail

Guru
I was never a fan of Blair, but I'd swap Johnson for Blair any day. Even though Johnson has been appalling in his handling of covid, it's an advantage for him because he gets to look like he's doing something and can display some sort of leadership. It's always difficult for an opposition leader to make an impact. In the elections I've followed, generally changes of government always seem to be driven by unhappiness with the government, little to do with the opposition.

Durango Bay

Whilst I would love to see Labour win the next election I am troubled buy their move to the right. I did like Corbyn but it is almost impossible with our current media for someone like him to be a successful leader so therefore a "viable contender" is pushed forward which is all very well but only if he actually does win the election otherwise it is like having Jose Mourinho as a manager and still not winning anything.

johnblack

Über Member
"If Starmer were to depart as leader tomorrow, he would not leave a trace of a meaningful political project in his wake."

Strong words from one of Starmer's key allies, who was one of the brains behind his leadership bid.
Interestingly it's a bit personal between the two of them, Kibasi, was right in the middle of Starmers leadership campaign (which was underway before the GE in 2019) but after he was elected, Kibasi didn't get any kind of position. So although there is probably a lot you might agree with, there is also a personal axe to grind.

"If Starmer were to depart as leader tomorrow, he would not leave a trace of a meaningful political project in his wake."

Strong words from one of Starmer's key allies, who was one of the brains behind his leadership bid.
Nothing too much to argue with in that article, especially as it is highlighting the need to be a bit more like Blair/Mandelson in his tactical approach, and emphasising the need to change from a political project that had hit the buffers.

I still think he was a good choice as leader to emphasise that change from the failure of leadership in the last ten years or so, but I am disappointed he has allowed Johnson off the hook too often, possibly trying not to look too opportunist in the middle of a pandemic. Perhaps not being Corbyn was the right tactic in the campaign and the very early days of his leadership, but now he has to show the electorate and the party who he is, not who he is not.

Now that things are looking a little more positive on the pandemic with the roll-out of the vaccines he has to get on the front foot a bit more with Johnson and define what direction he would take the Labour Party and the country post (hopefully) pandemic and post Brexit.

I hope and believe it is possible to win the next election as I cannot see anyone else able to step into his place over the next few years without the party shooting itself in the foot again.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
Whilst the focus is still 100% on Covid (which it is for most of the public) I don't see Starmer making any serious progress. I don't think anybody else would have fared any better though. Which of the other candidates for Labour leader would be doing better?

As I said in a different thread, I think Johnson will call a general election to capitalise on getting through covid (presuming we do) and before Starmer has a real chance of taking him to task on other issues.

Adam4868

Guru
The majority of my friends who vote Labour voted for Starmer.Expelling Corbyn and bringing back Mandleson doesn't seem like the best move....but we've got to give him a chance I'm told.
Uniting the party ? I thought he might of had something about him,but I'm shocked at how weak he really is.Opposition....dont make me laugh !

Top Bottom