The ultimate Sir Keir Starmer thread

Less Stiff Sir and more Lady Miss:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP55r5CDjI8

Too your credit,you do defend him well.What you like I've not a clue....were coming into a recession,remind me again what was said about jobs, the housing crisis,youngsters? What the feck does he stand for...maybe your just easily pleased ?
As you may see from my recent posts I feel that Starmer needs to up his game in taking the battle to the Tories. One of the problems facing him is that there is really only one issue that is dominating life and politics in the UK, and that is Covid. There is very little media time or public debate devoted to anything else, not even Brexit, and I suspect that there is a fear of being seen as politically opportunist in weaponising Covid.

Johnson's approval ratings were low during the stages when restrictions came in and infections/deaths rose and now he is benefiting from the feelgood factor of the vaccination progress and his ratings have increased. I believe Starmer is just going to have to suck this up for now before picking his battles and going more on the attack in the near future.

The previous leader and his "project" was given five years to help make progress towards a landslide victory for the Tories and I am prepared to give Starmer a bit more time than one year to improve his performance, especially given that there are probably almost four years to go before a GE. There will be plenty of time to develop a meaningful agenda that consists of practical steps towards those issues such as jobs, housing, NHS, young people etc. without just resorting to slogan soundbites, and taking into account the situation post Brexit/Covid.

Of course he should always be subject to critical assessment of his performance as leader, but that must be made in the context of the disastrous parliamentary position left by his predecessor, and the unique pandemic situation we have faced in his first year as leader. If he looks to be not making progress by the middle of this parliamentary term the I will admit I have backed the wrong horse, but, looking around the Labour Party there are not a lot of credible alternatives to turn things around.

In the meantime I reserve the right to make tongue-in-cheek responses to your homages to Starmer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sadly I think we're now seeing what passes for upping his game.

The speech can be watched/read here, although I can't think of a single reason why anyone should put themselves through it.
It was not exactly an exhilarating speech and he does need to get that poker out of his backside.:tired:

As for upping his game I hope this is just the stretching of tendons/muscles before the real game starts.

Adam4868

Guru
As you may see from my recent posts I feel that Starmer needs to up his game in taking the battle to the Tories. One of the problems facing him is that there is really only one issue that is dominating life and politics in the UK, and that is Covid. There is very little media time or public debate devoted to anything else, not even Brexit, and I suspect that there is a fear of being seen as politically opportunist in weaponising Covid.

Johnson's approval ratings were low during the stages when restrictions came in and infections/deaths rose and now he is benefiting from the feelgood factor of the vaccination progress and his ratings have increased. I believe Starmer is just going to have to suck this up for now before picking his battles and going more on the attack in the near future.

The previous leader and his "project" was given five years to help make progress towards a landslide victory for the Tories and I am prepared to give Starmer a bit more time than one year to improve his performance, especially given that there are probably almost four years to go before a GE. There will be plenty of time to develop a meaningful agenda that consists of practical steps towards those issues such as jobs, housing, NHS, young people etc. without just resorting to slogan soundbites, and taking into account the situation post Brexit/Covid.

Of course he should always be subject to critical assessment of his performance as leader, but that must be made in the context of the disastrous parliamentary position left by his predecessor, and the unique pandemic situation we have faced in his first year as leader. If he looks to be not making progress by the middle of this parliamentary term the I will admit I have backed the wrong horse, but, looking around the Labour Party there are not a lot of credible alternatives to turn things around.

In the meantime I reserve the right to make tongue-in-cheek responses to your homages to Starmer. :rolleyes:
A long winded way of saying he's fecking spineless 🙄

AuroraSaab

Über Member
Which of the prospective leader candidates would be doing any better? I can't see Starmer making any inroads until we are past the covid crisis. Nothing else is on people's minds at the moment.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As a neutral observer with no dog in the Tory / Labour fight, what I do find gob-smackingly remarkable is just how quiet Starmer is from day to day: Since he came into office he's being served up a free and unending smorgasbord of corruption and Tory cock ups. Almost every single day, there's yet another Conservative and / or cabinet minister giving untendered contracts to mates and wives of mates (for example), squandering billions of the public purse, and everyone just goes "yep, that's Tories for you". Her Majesty's opposition have the job of holding Government to account, I accept that can't always be a series of gifts but at the moment it must be like shooting fish in a barrel.

It's like playing an inept, fat, partially sighted football team who are down to 7 men and leaving a series of open goals, yet Starmer seemingly isn't even interested in being on the pitch, never mind capitalising. I think it's astounding.

IaninSheffield

Über Member
Sadly I think we're now seeing what passes for upping his game.

The speech can be watched/read here, although I can't think of a single reason why anyone should put themselves through it.
The speech was uninspired, it's delivery insipid, but worse still was his feeble responses to questions from the press. Dare I say, a performance perhaps even poorer than Johnson's!
Very disappointing.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Über Member
Easier to say who would be worse ?
Oh he's dull as anything, I know, but of the candidates on offer at the time I still think he was the one with widest electoral appeal. It's just a question whether he gets a chance to show that before Johnson calls an early election on the back of the vaccine success, and before the public remember there's other stuff going on as well as covid.

Which of the prospective leader candidates would be doing any better? I can't see Starmer making any inroads until we are past the covid crisis. Nothing else is on people's minds at the moment.
There aren't any prospective candidates because there is no possibility or need for a change of leader. The other candidates at the last election showed the lack of stand-out quality in the party at the moment, and it will be much easier for Starmer to up his performance over the next year or so than to get someone new.

There is always the possibility however that the Labour Party will contrive to shoot itself in the foot again with another internal battle.

Last edited:

theclaud

Broadband Communism Now
Which of the prospective leader candidates would be doing any better?
From last year's leadership contest, you mean? Pretty much all of them except Jess Phillips, TBH. Lewis was the stand-out candidate in terms of vision and political programme, but he didn't make the ballot. Thornberry's much more relatable. Long Bailey's genuine and her politics reflect the membership and the movement but she seemed easily bullied. Nandy's a tough item whose depressing reactionary Blue Labour pitch was where Starmer's gone anyway in terms of positioning - might as well have had the real article.

Top Bottom