The ultimate Sir Keir Starmer thread

From last year's leadership contest, you mean? Pretty much all of them except Jess Phillips, TBH. Lewis was the stand-out candidate in terms of vision and political programme, but he didn't make the ballot. Thornberry's much more relatable. Long Bailey's genuine and her politics reflect the membership and the movement but she seemed easily bullied. Nandy's a tough item whose depressing reactionary Blue Labour pitch was where Starmer's gone anyway in terms of positioning - might as well have had the real article.
I agree with you about Lewis. He seemed to have more going for him, but obviously there was something the party thought made him unsuitable as a leader.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
I agree about Lewis, but I don't think Long Bailey or Nandy would have built enough electoral support to take Labour to an election win, even against Johnson. Covid has put us in and unprecedented situation though so hard to say where we would be in more ordinary political circumstances.

PK99

Legendary Member
A quite astonishing number from the Newspaper today, especially given the derision targetted at Tony Blair from within the Labour Party.

By the time of the next election, it will be 50 years since a Labour Leader not called Tony Blair won a majority at a General Election.

Stated in those bald terms, the size of the electoral mountain Starmer has to climb is stark.

Adam4868

Guru
A quite astonishing number from the Newspaper today, especially given the derision targetted at Tony Blair from within the Labour Party.

By the time of the next election, it will be 50 years since a Labour Leader not called Tony Blair won a majority at a General Election.

Stated in those bald terms, the size of the electoral mountain Starmer has to climb is stark.
Maybe it's time to show some leadership qualities then...if he's capable.
Any chance we can stop reminiscing about Blair ? For me he ended up a fecking nightmare.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru

Top Bottom