The Hydro, Wind, Solar Farm and Renewable Energy generation baggers thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's also Royds Moor Wind-Farm, between Whitley Road & Spicer House Lane, just to the north of Penistone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royd_Moor_Wind_Farm

I can see it from the top-floor at work
If the Sun is right, & no cloud/mist/rain, I can even see if the blades are turning!!

(Feb 2006)

Wakefield Triathlon Cub have a circuit around there, I think they use it for time--trials (not a road-race)

It gets a bit bleak up there in winter!!
(Feb 2005)

classic33

Leg End Member
I've run around there (Ovenden Moor Fell-Race)
Plus, driven 'over the tops' many times
Heck it doesn't seem that many years since it was a gravel & pothole road!!

The red-route
View attachment 586854

There always seems to be a lot of cars parked there, whenever I ride/drive past
I've only been to them once, simply out of curiosity with wife & daughter

View attachment 586855
View attachment 586856
View attachment 586857
View attachment 586858
It still is a dirt track down Withens New Road from Withens Road. The latter had to be upgraded to allow access to replace the turbines. One-way system saw the road from the cattle grid onwards getting some work done to allow the low loaders out.

Edited to correct road names.
Withens New Road is the older road,
Withens Road is the newer road.

Last edited:
It still is a dirt track down Withens Road from Withens New Road. The latter had to be upgraded to allow access to replace the turbines. One-way system saw the road from the cattle grid onwards getting some work done to allow the low loaders out.
I was thinking of the road, from Hunters Hill (MTB raced in the old quarry, back in early 90s) over to the Hebden Bridge Road

Cold Edge Road, looking at mapping
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1422941

Mr Celine

Discordian
Can we open this out to include small-scale hydro?

Murray's Cauld, Ettrick Water, Selkirk. Two archimedes screws each producing up to 110kW. Photo from November 2019.

A 'cauld' is a weir in the local vernacular. What the info board fails to mention under 'interesting facts' is that the river is so powerful it washed away the first attempt at constructing the turbine house....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Carsington Windfarm, Manystones Lane, taken near the High Peak Trail t'other day.

Looking at the distant shots of offshore turbines, and that the bottom of the towers aren't visible, I'm pretty sure there must be a curvature of the Earth calculation that could be done there ...?
If we know the height of the tower, the length of one of the blades, and how many degrees between the apparent bottom and the top from the viewer's perspective, we could make a decent guess at both the distance and how far over the horizon it is. It would be in the right order of magnitude but accuracy is complicated by atmospheric disturbances, namely the same phenomenon that causes mirages and which makes distant ships and the edges of islands appear to float on air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom