the worst gig you ever went to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Iggy Pop came on stage in Vancouver, fell off the front of the stage after about two minutes, broke his arm, end of.

Norm

Simple Minds, Hammersmith Odeon, 1984? Unfortunately, they made it to the end of their set.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hard to say which was really the worst, but here are some contenders:

Meatloaf.Sheffield Arena early 90s.

Wife told a mate I liked him, they got a ticket for me between them. I was too polite to turn it down. He's shoot.

Simply Red. Sheffield Arena. Early 90s

Wasn't until I got there that I realised I really really loath the red haired little cabbage toothed tosser, and his music is dreadful, truly dreadful.

Icicle Works, Sheffield Poly. 1984.

They're shoot.

Gary Glitter, Sheffield Poly, in the days before hard drives and computer repair shops.

Came on stage, looked wide-eyed fat and sweaty for ten minutes while the band did their thing, then f*cked off and didn't come back. Tnuc.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Herbie Hancock - played a set consisting of hitting random keys on a piano with several others doing random 'musical' things too. played Watermelon Man as an encore and that was good but enduring two hours of avant garde tosh was too high a price.

Also saw a couple dreadful bands at The Borderline London before I reaslised I'd turned up on the wrong night - can't remember their names but they were grade A shite.

Noodley

Simple Minds, Ibrox, 1986(?) - the pished mentalist combining 'dancing' (either that or having a seizure - I'm not sure which but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she was trying to dance) with popping pills and drinking alcohol, and falling down repeatedly without taking a head-first flyer over the edge onto the people below held my attention for longer and is my only lasting memory...

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Honourable mention here- back in '76 there was a "Pub Rock" tour (Kursaal's etc) which was booked for the Brangwyn Hall in Swansea (seating 1200) and only 8 people turned up so we had to look interested for each and every turn - they were mostly great esp the Flyers.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Tears for Fears Brighton 198?6?

Watching the reels on the reel-to-reel tape player, with their backing tracks on it. go round and round was the most exciting thing about the gig.

TVC

Wet Wet Wet, Leicester Poly 1980s - they were wet, and the particular girlfriend that dragged me along didn't last much longer either.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It bites, at the Town and Country club, now the Forum at Kentish town c1986. They started off with there one hit, calling all the heroes, were bad for about an hour and finished with--calling all the heroes. The warm up band were the Cardiacs, they were also really bad at that time, but went on to do a few better things.

Top Bottom