TheDoctor has a new carbon bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Got the frame for Christmas, and I've only just finished building it.

DSC00110.jpg

Frame and forks - Ambrosio from FatBirds, Hunstanton.
Bars - Salsa Bell Lap
Groupset - Sora triple, with Stronglight alloy 48/38/24 rings, 13-26 cassette, and Fibrax salmon front pads.
Wheels - 36 spoke Open Pro on Tiagra, built by Byercycles, Shefford.
Tyres - Conti UltraSport kevlar folding, 23mm
Cinelli reflective bar tape.

Weight 9.0 kg, according to my bathroom scales.

Ventoux beckons...:girl:

That's nice! I feel it needs a 'Doc' graphic and a cup of tea logo somewhere!:girl:

(That is one 'mother' of a granny ring Doc!)

Aperitif said:
(That is one 'mother' of a granny ring Doc!)

Yeah! That'll get you up the Ventoux as the crow flies.

So you bought a bike with the money you should've spent plastering that wall behind the curtain and then ran out before you could buy any decals for the frame :girl:

I like it: C'mon cough up. What did it cost then?

What's the saddle?

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Hard to say what it cost. Frame and forks £350, bars £25, new cables maybe £15, but everything else I had already. Lets see, Sora's about £140, and £100 for the wheels, tyres and tubes, £25? Saddle, stem, seatpost, replacement rings...
adding up...
Maybe £690 all in. Call it £700 tops. And some of the bits i've been using for ages already.
But...a mate has given me (given!) an ultegra compact groupset. Once that's on, it's an even better bargain.
Saddle is a Bioflex Shocklite Gel. Bought as clearance about 5 years back.
And yes, the granny ring is a bit...excessive. I wanted a 26T, but they'd run out. My excuse and I'm sticking to it. I could go up a 1:5 on the old frame, and this is about a kilo lighter. And I'm about 8 kilos lighter!

It's the best bike I've ever had. *glees*

The curtains are hiding a window, BTW. It doesn't need plastering...

Plax

Guru
Very nice bike. Maybe I should reconsider a bike ride with you the next time you're over this end - you'll leave me for dust!
Are you any good at hills? Maybe I could draft you going up Llanberis Pass and let you do all the work :smile:

Do you cycle over the Llanberis pass every commute then Plax?

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Do you cycle over the Llanberis pass every commute then Plax?

No, I haven't actually got round to going up the Llanberis Pass on the bike. I go in the other direction. TheDoctor has rellies over this end and has said next time he's over he'll let me know and we can arrange a bike ride. Now that he has a new all singing all dancing bike though:biggrin:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:
No, I haven't actually got round to going up the Llanberis Pass on the bike. I go in the other direction. TheDoctor has rellies over this end and has said next time he's over he'll let me know and we can arrange a bike ride. Now that he has a new all singing all dancing bike though:wacko:

I've got other ones! Anyway, I need a light bike because I'm rubbish at climbing.:blush:

TheDoctor said:
I've got other ones! Anyway, I need a light bike because I'm rubbish at climbing.:blush:

Well if you need someone to make you feel a better climber, let me know, I'm sometimes down that way for a bit of leisure and I've never cycled the Pass but always meant to (there's a caff at the the top).

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
ChrisKH said:
Nice. Understated - I don't think it needs decals.

Thanks! I might see if I can knock up a little CC one to go on the headtube. And I also liked the earlier suggestion of a TheDoctor one for the downtube. I'll see if inspiration strikes.

Crackle said:
Well if you need someone to make you feel a better climber, let me know, I'm sometimes down that way for a bit of leisure and I've never cycled the Pass but always meant to (there's a caff at the the top).

That sounds like a potential plan:biggrin:. I'll give you and Plax a holler when I'm next in sunny Snowdonia.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That's a tiny chain ring Doc. You'll notice a difference in low gearing if you change to a compact won't you?
Before or after Ventoux?
I'm doing MV in June so I'll be interested in your experiences.

Top Bottom