Thigh pain! How can I reduce it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ransom1980

Hi all been off a bike for a couple of years an piled the pounds on I'm at 15st

Im back on the bike 3weeks now an averaging 25-30k rides 3-4 times per week

But this top of my Thigh pain is really restricting my rides I'm wanting do more much more

Any stretches, subliments even fruit what can I do to lessen it,

Oh an any suggestions on the "hard saddle" butt ache haha

Hate to say it, but probably just a case of time and slowly increased mileage, both for legs and bum!

Doobiesis

Über Member
Sounds like you’re not fitted to your bike properly. Have you bought a new bike or second hand? If new, you would normally get a free fitting. If not, i would highly recommend you call up your local bike shop and enquire.

Failing that, watch some YouTube videos of bike setups. It will change how you cycle. You should have no pain when cycling, any small amounts should be dealt with swiftly to lessen Amy damage.

Hope it helps :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Saddle too low? Cleats in wrong place?

Plenty of stretches you can try. Calves, hamstrings, hip flexors, lower back

Foam roller if a glutton for punishment

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Another advocate for gentle exercise here. Gentle stretching exercises are best i think.

And maybe do fewer miles and fewer days to start with. Maybe ride one day, then walk the next. If you have put a lot of weight on you may be trying to do too much too soon. Sometimes less is more. Graduallly build up the number of days and miles slowly.

Good luck.

Slick

Guru
Obviously there is pain and there is pain and for me it depends exactly what you mean by your description of pain. My thighs are pretty much in a constant state of mild fatigue and low level pain and stiffness until I'm actually on the bike.

I have found the answer for you :-)

I too suffer from thigh pain, and find after 35/40 miles the pain becomes so bad that I have to cut rides short/make sure I am local when they hit.

Went out on Saturday with a mate and the intention of doing at least 50 (trying to build up for the Great North Bike Ride (60 miles) in August), had done around 40 miles and the choice was to go route a) which would have been 51 miles or route b) 48 miles...had no choice but to pick route b as thighs so bad :-(
however, went out today, by myself and did a comfortable 54 miles, no experience of thigh pain at all, was gobamsacked.

The secret ... I went out for the England match yesterday, had around 8 pints and a Vindaloo...that's clearly the answer ^_^

Seriously though, don't really understand why I could do the 50 odd today, especially with 48 in the tank from only 2 days earlier, unheard of for me...from mile 35 I was expecting the pain to hit and it just never materialised...not that I'm complaining.

Slick

Guru
I have found the answer for you :-)

I too suffer from thigh pain, and find after 35/40 miles the pain becomes so bad that I have to cut rides short/make sure I am local when they hit.

Went out on Saturday with a mate and the intention of doing at least 50 (trying to build up for the Great North Bike Ride (60 miles) in August), had done around 40 miles and the choice was to go route a) which would have been 51 miles or route b) 48 miles...had no choice but to pick route b as thighs so bad :-(
however, went out today, by myself and did a comfortable 54 miles, no experience of thigh pain at all, was gobamsacked.

The secret ... I went out for the England match yesterday, had around 8 pints and a Vindaloo...that's clearly the answer ^_^

Seriously though, don't really understand why I could do the 50 odd today, especially with 48 in the tank from only 2 days earlier, unheard of for me...from mile 35 I was expecting the pain to hit and it just never materialised...not that I'm complaining.
Hydration?

boydj

Legendary Member
Saddle height? Grinding big gears rather than spinning? Or maybe it's just trying too much too quickly. Try alternating easy recovery rides with harder rides until you've built up your endurance again.

MikeG

Guru
This sounds exactly what you would expect from under-exercised muscles when faced with a bit of work for the first time in ages. I don't think there is anything wrong that losing a few pounds and doing a few more miles won't cure. Grit your teeth and get on. ;)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I would guess your saddle is too low. The usual advice for getting it close is to set the saddle so your leg is straight if you sit on it and put your heel on the pedal.

This should mean you have a bit of end in your knee with the ball of your foot on the pedal.

mikeymustard

Veteran
This should mean you have a bit of end in your knee with the ball of your foot on the pedal
End in your knee? Now that sounds painful :smile:
I'd agree it sounds like you're maybe overdoing it a bit. It would've nearly killed me to be riding 30k after only a month.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep too much too soon (even if 25-30km not k) most likely without any conditioning or stretching

Supplements won’t help, fruit ok in moderation as part of a lifestyle/dietary change for weight loss

Alan O

Über Member
Could be saddle a bit too low - if I try to ride a bike with the saddle too low, it hurts my upper thighs immediately.

But as others say, averaging 25-30k rides 3-4 times per week just 3 weeks after getting back in the saddle does seem to be pushing it a bit!

Top Bottom