Thighs all messed up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi :rofl:

I am something of a n00b cyclist (been commuting 11 miles round trip for about the past 6 weeks). I think I have slightly over-done it on my thighs... Went out on Saturday morning and did a 9 mile ride, which is longer than my usual ride. I didn't go flat out but there was a couple of nasty hills on the route I took! Anyway like a bufoon I did not stretch afterward as I was feeling ok and not much fatigue...

Sunday I felt OK but on Monday my upper legs were hurting pretty badly after I took a stroll up to the shop.

I felt OK yesterday morning (perhaps a slight tweak in the thighs) but I made the foolish descision to cycle in anyway. Needless to say that I got about 2 miles down the road and had to get off and stretch then it just got worse and worse. I had to stop a further 3 times on the remaining 3 miles and could hardly bend my legs or even walk at the end! Left the bike at work and got the train home but again could barely walk the 10 mins up the hill from the station to my place, having to stop about 2 or 3 times in real pain.

Called in sick today because I cannot get to work but I had a hot bath last night and have been trying to stretch but it feels like my thighs have become all contracted and it's pretty painful. Any tips other than hot baths, stretching and painkillers?

xx(

gavintc

Guru
Having just spent time with the physio regarding a minor back injury she assured me that ice is more effective than heat for muscle injuries.

To be honest, I am surprised that your thighs will hurt that much after relatively short distances. I suspect that your saddle is too low and you are not using your legs properly. Check your saddle height, your leg should be near full extension with the pedal at the bottom - with a very small bend in the knee. If you were to place your heel on the pedal, it should be a full extension.

I hope your thighs recover quickly.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yeah I think the saddle height thing might be relevant because I have already moved it higher a couple of times. It's a suspension seatpost and when I am sat on the saddle it obviously reduces the height and increases the bend of my legs at the bottom of the stroke. Might have to increase the height by another couple of cm.

Thanks

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get rid of the suspension seatpost and give your body a chance to work at its best advantage.

col

Legendary Member
The stiffness should dissapear in a few days to a week,just do gentle cycling to help it along.

Don't know if this is using a sledge hammer to crack a nut but yesterday I went for a proper sports massage and it was amazing. I had really tight quads and calves after some serious mileage and it has sorted them out.

Another thing you might want to consider is having a day in the week when you don't commute, just to give yourself a chance to recover. Is that possible? Also I would second the saddle height thing. I loathe suspension seatposts precisely because they sink when you sit on them. Just get a regular seatpost instead.

col

Legendary Member
Sittingduck said:
I wil try once I can actually walk again! :biggrin:

It's like semi-cramp in the whole of my thighs all the time ;)

It can be very sore,some gentle stretching will help too,just stretch till you feel it and hold it for a few seconds,relax then do it again.You must have had some seriously steep and long hills,or not done anything for quite a while ?You sure you havnt done any damage,pulled muscle/strain?

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
"Unfit" is my middle name col ;-)
The hills were faily long and steepish but I am a bit of a bloater and only been cycling for a few weeks. Also the lack of stretching afterwards has probably contributed. I will take it easy for a few days and gently stretch etc before I go out on the bike again. On average I have been doing 4 days a week commute but I will have to change the seatpost on this new bike to a standard one!

Thanks for the tips guys.

If it's just muscle ache and not an actual injury, I'd be inclined to take some form of protein. Whenever my legs are feeling tired and I need a pick me up for the following ride I normally have a bottle of 'For Goodness Shakes' which really works for me.

There are other brands where you mix powder with water or milk but I find FGS more convenient as you can buy it in any major supermarket and drink it straight out of the bottle without any messing about.

Good luck. And don't forget to warm up at the beginning as well... riding gently ('spinning') for the first 5 minutes should help.

domtyler

Über Member
I never stretch straight after cycling, shouldn't be necessary and can do more harm than good. It is far too easy to pull a muscle completely when they are hot straight after exercising.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dom, theory is that stretching after exercise is good as well - I don't do either....bad boy I am......

I used to stretch loads when racing though !

Top Bottom