Things to do......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stan

in hospital when you've had surgery.

I'm going for surgery next week and will be in hospital for up to ten days. Wanting to alleviate the boredom between pokes, prod's, insertions and extractions by the medical fraternity, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book they have read recently.......:becool:

longers

Legendary Member
The Secret Life of Trees, by Colin Tudge.

It's very good - if you like trees :becool:.

yenrod

Stan said:

I'm going for surgery next week and will be in hospital for up to ten days. Wanting to alleviate the boredom between pokes, prod's, insertions and extractions by the medical fraternity, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book they have read recently.......:becool:

Problem with Hospitals are the 'boredom'.

MP3's/Radio (with heaphones) can help I guess / books - I know the screens by the side of the bed in hospitals I've been to can help & they usual yhave the radio free but the TV costs.

Al the best !!!!!

I've just read The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. It made me slow down my thinking (don't start you lot) and it was interesting to roll gently with the book although it all ended a bit sadly for a 'happy ender' like me...
'It shouldn't happen to a Croissant by Pablo Tuisset (I think) is an interesting book of sufficient fatness - mixture of humour and wierdness (like on here).
I always recommend Lee Child books or Harlen Coben for absorbing, flowing reads - probably four would see you through ten days.
Hope it all goes well Stan. :ohmy:

Edited a p to an r :becool:

OP
OP
Stan

Stan

User76 said:
Just remember to take ear plugs;)

Unless of course you are going private and have your own room of course.

Cheers maggot. I learnt that earplugs are essential after my first visit to hotel NHS and found that it was full of ill people with the propensity to be sick, cry out in pain or die noisily. Single room please nurse. :bravo:

Private, against my principles, and anyway I don't have the insurance cover or cash!

yenrod said:
Problem with Hospitals are the 'boredom'.

MP3's/Radio (with heaphones) can help I guess / books - I know the screens by the side of the bed in hospitals I've been to can help & they usual yhave the radio free but the TV costs.

Al the best !!!!!

Thanks yenrod. Yep, got stuffed last time for the TV cost at £2.50 per day, I was in for four weeks. My dad got stuffed on the phone cost listening to premium rate messages at 50p a shot without getting through to me. I now use my mobile and the staff generally turn a blind eye.

snakehips said:
How about getting a personal DVD player.
It would enable you to shut yourself off for hours from the profane rabble that will undoubtedly surround you.

Snake

Thanks Snake, someone's bought me one recently and I plan to catch up on a few movies, including what I believe is the best war film of all time Wolfgang Petersen's Das Boot (The 1980's version).

All, thanks for your suggestions and good wishes. :biggrin:

I'm also looking at getting a couple of audio CD's for my I pod to listen to in the first few days, as I don't think an attractive nurse will have time to turn the pages for me. I am looking at autobiographies (preferably by somebody who has had a life), such as Peter Ustinov's Dear Me. Is this a good choice or is there anything else I should be looking at?

wafflycat

Take paper and pencil: write novel.
Take cotton buds - remove earwax and do earwax scuplture.
Take tweezers and give self a 'Brazilian' one hair at a time - extend to entire leg length, chest and armpits

col

Legendary Member
Depending what the staff are like,you might be able to use a portable or small tv of your own,as its now £2.90 a day for the tv i think?

ChrisKH

Guru
I would take a collection of Bill Bryson books but then I'm biaised.

To be honest the last time I spent ten days in a hospital bed I was so ill after surgery it was all I could do to get up once a day to wash myself and that exhausted me. I couldn't bathe or shower as I had a minimum of six things inserted in me in various places. I would concentrate on getting better, first off and sleep as much as possible. Guaranteed you may have some old Navy duffer next to you (like I did) who listened to forces radio at 2.00 am in the morning.

This period of hospitalization was one of the lowest points in my life mentally so whilst you are there to get better physically, it would be worthwhile making preparation for your mental well being, ie. plenty of visitors and support. I can now appreciate what it's like to be tortured after spending five days without water or food (admittedly on a drip) and then being reintroduced to both with very small amounts (thimblefulls) to ensure your system doesn't go into shut down. I had all this and then no visitors for 48 hours as my wife had an emergency appendectomy and I wasn't told. My system went beserk and I got a major post operative infection. It didn't help that the ward was labelled for closure soon after I left (and was very old and depressing) and I was in a terminal ward with people dying left right and centre, some who had contracted MRSA. I will readily admit I cried that day it was awful.

Anyhow, my recommendation is to get moving as soon as you are allowed during your stay and make frequent trips to the hospital shop and restaurant just for a change of scene. Chat up the nurses obviously. :bravo: Parting tip; if you do have an afternoon nap make sure you put a blanket over your middle part. I awoke to a visit from my (female) surgeon to check things out and an obscenely publically displayed inflated appendage. :biggrin: ;) Ironically she was pleased to see that as it meant there had been no nerve damage during surgery

Best of luck and I hope it goes well.

papercorn2000

Someone on this forum recommended "The Time Traveller's Wife" up there with "Life of Pi" in strangeness stakes. Also the first book in years that nearly made me cry...

Otherwise stock up on Westerns and get a cheap DVD player.

cchapman

Ten days seems a long time, you must be really ill!
In my brief experiences (broken bones from cycle fall which would be nothing for a younger person but required 3 days observation for me) it affords lots of opportunity for observation and reflection. Ear plugs are a good idea. As for a book I would recommend the new translation of Tolstoy's War and Peace. You may have tried it before when younger but been too impatient. Now might be the right time. Another advantage is it's price - hardcover, handsomely bound, and would probably be under fifteen pounds. It is published by Vintage Classics and the translators are Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky.

jay clock

Massive member
Re using phones, they are ok (the hospital may not agree) see here http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/29/mobiles_hospitals_health/ - you see consultants happily using them see also here for up to date info. http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinform...terference/Frequentlyaskedquestions/index.htm

Re the boredom thing I download tons of podcasts. I got it via Itunes onto my ipod, but www.bestofyoutube.com is pretty good for a few hours of amusement. Also tons of Radio 4 documentaries etc (Excess Baggage, News Quiz, and odd things like Law in Action which is good even though I am not a legal bod). Also 8 out of 10 cats podcasts if they are still available.

Good luck!

Stan said:

I'm going for surgery next week and will be in hospital for up to ten days. Wanting to alleviate the boredom between pokes, prod's, insertions and extractions by the medical fraternity, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book they have read recently.......:tongue:

Try "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves - the zero-tolerance approach to punctuation" by Lynne Truss.

Hope it's not too awful and the operations are a success.

Top Bottom