Think I may have caught upgradeitis.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fitted some "new" secondhand brakes to my bike at the weekend. My brakes were a bit feeble, the replacements were cheap so it was worth a punt.

They're probably no better than the stock ones really (haven't had chance to really test them with this weather) but they're shiny and the old ones were Black.

I've never understood the desire to upgrade before, my lowly SCR3 has always perfomed faultlessly despite being equipped with modest kit so I've never felt the need and always wondered why cycling buddies were constantly chainging bits & bobs for no real gain.
But, my new shiney brakes keep catching my eye and I keep wondering what else I could change.
Maybe a new drivetrain would be nice. Maybe some nice, lightweight wheels.......

Have I caught the bug? is there a cure?

Bigtwin

Yes there's a cure.

It involved a complex cocktail of elements:

Bank Statements, massive hike in component prices during a time of record low inflation, being taken for a much longer ride by certain Japanese manufacturers than by your bike.

Chrisz

Über Member
Nope! No such cure exists :biggrin:

Unfortunately you will find yourself justifying the extortionate costs (and hiding receipts/statements etc from your wife - who simply "doesn't understand why you need all this stuff") and swearing mates to secrecy when you've just spent £700 + on a new set of wheels.

You will find yourself scouring the internet trying to find stuff for the bike that you absolutely "need".

Eventually there will come a time when you are simply renewing perfectly good gear just because it's a little old.

Finally, you will find that your winter hack is equiped with Campag record groupset, nice wheels etc (all cast-offs from your summer best bike).

Take it from one who is already well down that slippery slope!! :angry:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Upgradeitis starts when peeps get a really good set of wheels or frame that does make a big difference and they then go searching in vain for other upgrades to make a similar sized impact.

I'm a bit worried now though - I've been taking all the shiny bits off my bike and replacing them with black ones!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Guys. Sorry to hear of your affliction Chris, I'm assuming that the BigTwin effect will kick in naturally and cure mine.

accountantpete said:
Upgradeitis starts when peeps get a really good set of wheels or frame that does make a big difference and they then go searching in vain for other upgrades to make a similar sized impact.

I'm a bit worried now though - I've been taking all the shiny bits off my bike and replacing them with black ones!

Maybe we can swap :smile: :cry:

Top Bottom