Think you do a lot of miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I read a fascinating article in Cycling Weekly about Tommy Godwin, who cycled over 75,000 miles in a year (average more than 200 miles a day). This was in 1939!

Anyone fancy trying to break it?

screenman

Legendary Member
Then he carried on to top 100,000 miles.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I think I might just do 75,000 in two life-times.....Interesting quote in the Wikipedia article "In May 1940 after 500 days' riding he secured the 100,000-mile (160,000 km) record as well. Godwin dismounted and spent weeks learning how to walk before going to war in the RAF"....learning to walk - ho hum

Yes, makes me think it's not really worth it!

CapsCyclists

Wow!!! Wouldn't that mess up your muscles? or something... a lot of the stuff I've read says that your muscles need time to recover .. i'd rather bike less and be able to ride for the rest of my life then to ride a bunch on miles and not be able to ride 10 years down the road...

lukesdad

There are some impressive mileages clocked up by the Audax boys. Most Ive ever done is 27K in a year and to be honest effort and time wise, I dont know how they manage it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I wonder what he could have done on a lightweight Carbon fibre or Titanium bike with modern lights tyres etc.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

avsd

Guru
I read a fascinating article in Cycling Weekly about Tommy Godwin, who cycled over 75,000 miles in a year (average more than 200 miles a day). This was in 1939!

Anyone fancy trying to break it?

Let me think about it.... no I will stick to my more modest 5,000 miles target for 2012^_^

Top Bottom