thinking of buying a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'm considering buying a new bike... just for tootling about on.

A Brompton is a possibility as folding would be handy for getting it on the train, taking into the office, but prolly a little too expensive... Any cheaper Brompton type folders worth looking at? Must have a good, easy folding mechanism.

My other consideration is a sit up and beg bike... i rode one in Turkey and my oh my it was comfortable sitting up straight with swept back bars for a change. something like this or maybe even this... edit... or this!

I'm 6'2" so what are Brompton type bikes like for taller peeps?

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I can't comment on the Bromptons, but my previous bike was a Dawes Tanami http://www.bikes2udi....com/B2800.html . I did 5k+ in one year and it's stupidly comfortable. I managed to bag mine for £300, but it can still be had for £340 (see above link), which is a steal for such a high spec bike. It has adjustable/lock out suspension, suspension seat post, great pannier rack, and full mud guards.

I've now moved onto a road bike for commuting, and the Dawes only comes out when I go riding with the kids off road or if I need the trailer.

BTW how do you to that 'this' thing for links?

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I'm considering buying a new bike... just for tootling about on.

A Brompton is a possibility as folding would be handy for getting it on the train, taking into the office, but prolly a little too expensive... Any cheaper Brompton type folders worth looking at? Must have a good, easy folding mechanism.

My other consideration is a sit up and beg bike... i rode one in Turkey and my oh my it was comfortable sitting up straight with swept back bars for a change. something like this or maybe even this... edit... or this!

I'm 6'2" so what are Brompton type bikes like for taller peeps?

I use my Brompton for pootling, but that's because I have one. If you don't NEED the fold I would suggest you don't bother . My ideal pootling bike would be an F frame Moulton and I'm still looking if anyone has a cheap(ish) one

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I can't comment on the Bromptons, but my previous bike was a Dawes Tanami http://www.bikes2udi....com/B2800.html . I did 5k+ in one year and it's stupidly comfortable. I managed to bag mine for £300, but it can still be had for £340 (see above link), which is a steal for such a high spec bike. It has adjustable/lock out suspension, suspension seat post, great pannier rack, and full mud guards.

I've now moved onto a road bike for commuting, and the Dawes only comes out when I go riding with the kids off road or if I need the trailer.

BTW how do you to that 'this' thing for links?

Nice looking bike that :smile:

text links; just highlight the word or phrase you want to be the link, click the little 'link' button (chain links and green plus), and paste the URL in.

I'm considering a Brompton or similar folder to save me from leaving it locked outside the office all day everyday... and I could get on the train down to Manchester, and on the metro up to Bury.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Nice looking bike that :smile:

text links; just highlight the word or phrase you want to be the link, click the little 'link' button (chain links and green plus), and paste the URL in.

I'm considering a Brompton or similar folder to save me from leaving it locked outside the office all day everyday... and I could get on the train down to Manchester, and on the metro up to Bury.

Then it's simple, you need a Brompton.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

well i wouldn't say need... but a little folder would be convenient on the odd occasion i fancy taking a bike when visiting pals in Manc (3 times a year say)... on the other hand I could just cycle down and sod the train.

Plus i don't really want to spend more than £300

Top Bottom