Thinking of changing so soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philtofit

Hi All
First the background:
I have been losing weight for a while, lost over 4 stone; now just under 16 stone. I needed to lose the weight to be able to donate a kidney to my wife; op is all set for 10th Jan. I will be out of action for about 4/6 weeks. I’m only 58, and 5ft 9 ½, only health issue is a bit of arthritis in my wrist's.
I have been exercising to aid weight loss, but recently got a bit bored with the routine; so got my old bike out of hiding. After a week of pottering around on it, I went out 4 weeks ago and brought a new Giant Escape 4. To my surprise I have really taken to Cycling. Started off doing a couple of miles, then 6 mile seamed a long way, last week did 16 miles with a break; this week did an hour and a half non-stop ride, using a coastal cycle route plus roads totally 17.5 miles. I’m planning on doing the London to Southend ride next year, and making cycling a means of keeping fit, managing my weight and for pleasure/sport; along with may be manageable tour with my son.

Went to LBS today, to look at the possibility of upgrading to a road bike. I’m looking at the following options:
Trek 1.5 2011 9 speed
Giant Defy 2 2012 10 speed
Specialized Specture Elite 2012 10 speed (additional Zertz inserts in forks)
All with Tiagra gear shift, carbon forks, and able to fit mudguards and rack if needed.
I tried a 56cm Trek (not the 1.5) felt good, the LBS have said I can try before I buy; but they need to get the model that I choose in. The will also set it up to suit me. I’m aware that it needs to feel right, which is going to be a big factor.
Questions:
Do you think I should change to a road bike?
Which one do you suggest?
Is there something else I should consider?
Any other points I need to know?
I know the Defy v Specture topic has come up before.

Sorry it's a bit long winded. Thanks for your assistance.

Phil..

Lots of folk have went down the route you have, my self included I started with a sirrus (flat bar) and have now migrated to the drops. So yes I think you are doing the right thing. Drop bar bikes are usually lighter and more agile but you also benefit from having multiple hand positions and a place to drop down to in wind. There's probably other benefits I'm missing but the whole ride will be easier and you will be encouraged to cycle more :smile:

Hicky

Guru
If you have the disposable cash buy whatever you like:thumbsup:......possibly wait till spring that way your newer bike wont be exposed to the road crap winter beings....however ignore me(I'm getting a new bike in a couple of weeks too).

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Having tried out the bikes, I have gone for the Trek 1.5; very impressed.

I can now understand why the lack of response to my bike choice question, it something very personal and you need to test ride them.

Thanks to those who responded.

Scousegaz

Hi Phil, i'm almost 52 and after years on a mountain bike made the move over to a roadie 4 months ago, I splashed out on a Trek Madone full carbon and havent looked back. The ride is sooooooo much easier which obviously makes it so much more enjoyable. I've just ordered another Trek, the 1.2 2012 model in matt black & charcoal for the winter and can recommend Trek as great bikes and my LBS gave me a 10% discount on the £700 price so I pick it up on wed this week for £630 and the £700 price point is a great deal given the 1.2's spec so push the boat out and treat yourself and I promise you wont be dissapointed ^_^

Hi Phil, I just want to say I hope you and your wife ops go well and recover fully. Keep up the cycling and be strong with your challeange ahead, you have achieved much already and hopefully the Trek can take your mind off things a little :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Congrats on what you're doing.

I'm running a 2011 Ridgeback Platinum with 105's - the 2012 model has the 10-speed Tiagra and mudguards already fitted. It's a decent bike for the price point; I paid £870 for mine from Evans.

The 2011 model's still available though - with a 105 setup - and is about £800 online. I'm 5' 9" and bought a 54cm model which has been perfect.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Thanks for your comments.

I have been out on my new Trek twice, Sunday and Tuesday, 13 and 16 miles. Both days had a head wind, which made it hard work. The bike feels good, but I do need to sort out some clipless pedals.

The saddle will take a few rides to get used to.

Mozzy

Can't help on the bike, but wanted to wish you both well for the 10th Jan Operation day. I sincerely wish you all the best for a positive outcome:thumbsup:

Ajax_Gaz

Shut up Legs!
Congrats on the weight loss and best wishes to you both for the 10th Jan. :thumbsup:

The clipless pedals will take a little while to get used to but proper shoes and clipless pedals have been one of the best pieces of equipment i've bought. Good luck!

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Hi Guys

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Just put SPD road pedals on, got the shoes, I have been practising getting in and out of them. I will be practising falling off tomorrow, I'm looking forward to mastering the technique. Next comes increasing the number of miles and learning how to use the gears, and how best to increase my fitness.

Top Bottom