Third world country.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
A school friend of my wife has been living in Turkey for the last 25 years. When she went there her brother said to her: " Why do you want to live in a third world country? Now, age 75, she needs a hip replacement. She had an appointment 2 weeks ago at the hospital where they did all sorts of checks and had the results in the same day. Unfortunately, they found a lump in her lungs and she was diagnosed with cancer. She is booked for her hip to be done next week.
So, which country is more like the third world now?

Darius_Jedburgh

Über Member
We no longer have a National Health Service. All we have is a regime to prevent our health carers from contracting any illness of any sort.

The general population can go and do one as far as the over paid and overmanned knighthood chasers in NHS/PHE are concerned.

Oldhippy

Über Member
The people on the ground in hospitals, care homes etc are working their arses off day in day out and not paid their worth by far. High management are overpaid in some cases certainly but we are not all chasing awards. None of us in nhs and associated places have had time off and been working throughout this nightmare because that is our job, granted by choice but we are still at it. Overworked and underpaid.

Darius_Jedburgh

Über Member
OK. Get me an appointment to have a tooth filled. It was filled 4 days before lockdown,a rush job. It came straight out. Eating food is a chore and has been since March. Get to see a dentist. No fecking chance. Maybe early next year. That's the wonderful system that you are bragging about. And I'm not alone.
People are dying in their homes for want of basic attention. Far more than are dying from this virus. Who cares? Noone in the NHS gives a fig so long as they don't catch it. Hospitals are half empty with staff looking for things to fill their day (And I have relatives in there who tell me what's going on)

Stand on the street and clap the NHS? Not round here we don't, and never did. We know when we are well off, and we are far from it.

OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The people on the ground in hospitals, care homes etc are working their arses off day in day out and not paid their worth by far. High management are overpaid in some cases certainly but we are not all chasing awards. None of us in nhs and associated places have had time off and been working throughout this nightmare because that is our job, granted by choice but we are still at it. Overworked and underpaid.
I couldn't agree more. The staff are doing their best under the circumstances but successive governments have made it so difficult to provide a true health service.

Oldhippy

Über Member
I am in the social care sector and we have done the best with what we've got and have no control about what happens above us we are the ground staff helping as many as we can. I have a brother with profound learning disabilities so am fully aware how hard it is at both ends. We sadly don't make the rules we have to follow. Believe me if we did it would look different.

Oldhippy

Über Member
For what it is worth a member of staff came in this morning and collapsed shortly afterwards needing 999. Later in the day he phoned to ask if he could come in on light duties as he had left us short. That's what do where we work.

tom73

Veteran
So much for just caring about themselves and preventing themselves catching anything. Over 600 health and social care staff have died to date from covid true figure is higher but not really known the government stopped counting.Tell me how they can run at levels as before with covid all around? It's not just protect them but everyone else in the hospital. As for not giving a fig only a few weeks ago Mrs 73 tried to save a life of a patient even though she did not have right PPE. She could have walked away both her union and regulator allow it. But no she put other's 1st and did her job. Unless you have seen first hand what the last few months had done to many within the health service then don't comment on things you clearly don't understand. Equally don't understand how the health service works as much of it has been working as before and any needing emergency treatment has been able to get it. Primary care for example has been work though out this and still is but none ever talk about that.

Slick

Guru
So much for just caring about themselves and preventing themselves catching anything. Over 600 health and social care staff have died to date from covid true figure is higher but not really known the government stopped counting.Tell me how they can run at levels as before with covid all around? It's not just protect them but everyone else in the hospital. As for not giving a fig only a few weeks ago Mrs 73 tried to save a life of a patient even though she did not have right PPE. She could have walked away both her union and regulator allow it. But no she put other's 1st and did her job. Unless you have seen first hand what the last few months had done to many within the health service then don't comment on things you clearly don't understand. Equally don't understand how the health service works as much of it has been working as before and any needing emergency treatment has been able to get it. Primary care for example has been work though out this and still is but none ever talk about that.
Shame I can't like that a hundred times over.

AuroraSaab

Über Member
A school friend of my wife has been living in Turkey for the last 25 years. When she went there her brother said to her: " Why do you want to live in a third world country? Now, age 75, she needs a hip replacement. She had an appointment 2 weeks ago at the hospital where they did all sorts of checks and had the results in the same day. Unfortunately, they found a lump in her lungs and she was diagnosed with cancer. She is booked for her hip to be done next week.
So, which country is more like the third world now?
I hope your wife's friend recovers and I am glad she is happy with the treatment she is receiving.

The reality is though that Turkey is not a good place for women. There are 500 women a year murdered, domestic violence is widespread, sex crimes are not taken seriously, and honour type killings are common. As a woman, I know where I would rather live.

postman

Legendary Member
One of our longest standing friends.Has just finished with the Nhs she has took early retirement.She is sick and tired of all the bullshit that goes on.She was a Sister and was a hands on type of person.Dedicated but she is worn down.They even asked if she would consider working just a few hours a week.What she told them was a polite no.

Top Bottom