This a good frame to start my build a bike project?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Not bad frames in the day them. Especially at that price.

OP
OP
R

RabbitFood

Well I dont no anything to be fair hence why i want to learn and its not really for me to go out and ride on more to pay about with and yes I was thinking that for only a fiver nothing to lose.

Rabbit

02GF74

Über Member
don't know the brand but for a fiver, at the moment as I am sure it will go up, looks a super deal, plus it has got head set fitted - you really want to have the matching fork race otherwise you'll need to by a new headset..... ideally you want the foks too.

is it right size?
ask if the BB threads are undamaged - hard to tell from photo.

redjedi

Über Member
RabbitFood said:
sorry but im new what do you mean by this

ask if the BB threads are undamaged - hard to tell from photo. ????

BB= Bottom bracket. The bearings which your cranks attach to.

If the threads are damaged it will be hard or impossible to fit a new bottom bracket. Although a good LBS should be able to re-thread it for you.

Looks like a good deal as long as the price doesn't go up too much.

Actually doing something, is a good way to learn about fixing your bike. I did all the repairs on my bike and now know how to do almost everything. The only thing I haven't had the guts to do yet is attempt to true a wheel.

RedBike

Unless you happen to have all the bits sitting around it's going to cost you a fortune to build up and wont really have anything 'special'.

I would want to buy a frame that comes with the matching forks and headset to save myself a lot of work / expense.

OP
OP
R

RabbitFood

ok thanks guys food for thought, maybe im better off going to my local boot sale and just getting very old race bike and doing that up takig apart ect, not really after a good bike just something to learn on

02GF74

Über Member
not sure I follow what you want top achieve. you will learn the same things on a good bike as you will on a crap bike, t he advantage of the former it is will be more enjoyable to ride and last longer before parts fail.

what is your budget? what sore of bike are you after?

ebay is rife with cheap decent bikes.

try local rags and police auctions.

OP
OP
R

RabbitFood

im not really looking to ride the bike aby distance just to learna nd get to know how a bike works, gears breaks ect, when i upgrade my bike i want to be able to do it myself but pratice on an old bike, taking the chains, gears and breaks off anf on ect

02GF74

Über Member
hmmm, sounds lke an unnecessariy expensive way to do it.

buy an decent bike and when parts need replacing, learn to do it then. none of this is rocket science.

by all means practise on an old bike if you want but you may spend time learning to do stuff and then never have to do it on your proper bike ... unless you want to work as bicylce repair man.

Top Bottom