This 'Asda' be the right way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Sat daft rules...NOT ! I hate the things,we have a driver at work who uses his all the time even though he goes to the same places at least three/four times a week.They have made people lazy when it comes to route planning and common sense.I still have a good old Phillips map book in the car and when we have a blat across Europe me and the Boss use paper...although the old East Germany and Czech Republic are a bit hit and miss....more fun getting lost over there !

Arch

Married to Night Train
Coming back from Wooler last weekend, ours (well, it's not mine, it belongs to the driver of the car) insisted that there was no A1 at Catterick. It's not a fancy one that knows about jams or anything, it was just convinced that the road we'd driven up two days earlier, didn't exist, and we must go another way.

I've used one in France, and it was useful, because I was alone, and found it difficult to memorise a string of French village names. But I like to think I'd have the wit to ignore it if it seemed wrong..

bauldbairn

Unbelievable pictures "Comedy Pilot".

I quite like Sat-Nav and find it pretty useful, but to be honest you still have to engage your brain.:smile:

I've got a good sense of direction and could probably drive myself to almost anywhere in Britain without it - but I like the "Accident Black Spot", "Speed Camera" and "Road Speed" reminders / warnings(always on mute). It's also handy in a city / large town to find particular addresses. If it pointed me up a "One-way" street the wrong way or down a footpath - I'd pressume "it" had made a mistake(and they do regularilly). Common sense has to prevail, you don't just do exactly what it tells you - it's only a machine. I would actually question these drivers skills and road awareness.

We all make mistakes - did the driver not think, "this is a bit tight" or "this doesn't look like a road"?:ohmy::headshake::biggrin::headshake:

On a lighter note - in Scotland(and England too, probably) there are a few towns / villages / roads that have been flooded in the creation of hydro electric dams. How long before a Sat-Nav takes one of these drivers along an old road to the edge of a Lake(Loch). Will they just shrug there shoulders and think "well if the sat-nav says it's along here" and drive in - surely not? :smile::laugh::smile::laugh:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, it's got to be possible, given that people have turned onto a railway line before now while idly following a sat nav.
You'd have thought the sleepers would have been a giveaway. And the rails, signals etc...

purplepolly

bauldbairn said:
I quite like Sat-Nav and find it pretty useful, but to be honest you still have to engage your brain.:smile:
How long before a Sat-Nav takes one of these drivers along an old road to the edge of a Lake(Loch). Will they just shrug there shoulders and think "well if the sat-nav says it's along here" and drive in - surely not? :ohmy::laugh::biggrin::laugh:

I live on a road that's been cut off in the middle by bollards for years, and marked on the A-Z as such for years. Every satnav I've tested takes me straight through them.

Gromit

Über Member
I found mine quite useful when I got a new job as a landscape contractor and had to find my own way to 30 NHS sites around North Yorkshire.

Brains

Legendary Member
purplepolly said:
I live on a road that's been cut off in the middle by bollards for years, and marked on the A-Z as such for years. Every satnav I've tested takes me straight through them.

This seems to be a particular failing of satnavs.

I was given one for my birthday recently, it's a great device if you don't know where you are going, but even though it has all the latest updates etc I found three of there types of errors withing 500m of my house, so I know all of those roads have been blocked off for at least a decade or more, and are marked as such on any road map.

The fact that anyone would 'blindly follow' technology without looking at the world around them is a sad indictment of our times in my opinion.

bauldbairn said:
(Edited)
Common sense has to prevail, you don't just do exactly what it tells you - it's only a machine. I would actually question these drivers skills and road awareness.

We all make mistakes - did the driver not think, "this is a bit tight" or "this doesn't look like a road"?;):headshake::blush::headshake:

On a lighter note - in Scotland(and England too, probably) there are a few towns / villages / roads that have been flooded in the creation of hydro electric dams. How long before a Sat-Nav takes one of these drivers along an old road to the edge of a Lake(Loch). Will they just shrug there shoulders and think "well if the sat-nav says it's along here" and drive in - surely not? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh yes they will!!!

splashnav02_468x300.jpg

Link

TAxis do it as well!

Top Bottom