This could have turned out so much worse...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
An annoying "creaking" noise started on my bike a few days ago, and gradually got worse with each ride. As is often the case, I was having trouble pinpointing exactly where it was coming from - sometimes I thought it was the front fork, other times it seemed to be the pedals or bottom bracket, but I couldn't find it at all when I had the bike on the stand - only when I was riding it.

I was just about to give in and take it to the LBS to get it checked out when I thought I'd just check it wasn't the seatpost. I removed and re-greased the seat post, put it back in, and tightened the seat clamp, and....crack! The seatclamp snapped in two! New seatclamp now fitted, no more noise, and all OK - I can only assume the seatclamp was about to fail at any moment!

SOOOO glad I found out that way rather than have it snap while I was riding along - which I imagine could be particularly painful!

Close one!

D

Deleted member 1258

I had a creak on a Pollard I had in the 1980's, I couldn't find the cause no mater what I checked, one day I was lifting the bike into the bike shed at work and the saddle came off in my hand, the creak was a cracked seat post which could have been very nasty had it failed whilst riding the bike.

Top Bottom