This Summer's fashion faux-pas....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I fully agree with you about wearing football replica team shirts. Unless you are at the game, or actually playing a game, but then most of the blokes who wear them couldn't run two steps without having a heart attack due to the enormous bulk they amass from eating to many pies/fish and chip suppers and drinking far to much Lager. Also some older men are still wearing socks with sandals. Why? Even worse are the ones who wear knee length socks, Good grief, these men should be commited to a special centre for treatment.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I've had these myself in the past, but "turbo-sandals" like these http://www.foxsoutdoor.co.uk/footwear/sandals/
have surely had their day. Middle-class middle-aged male summer plumage...baggy shorts, pasty legs and turbo-sandals. I met some chaps in the pub over summer, and everyone (bar me) was wearing this "uniform"! Have some imagination and individuality, I tell you!

Ru88ell

Sleeveless t shirts. 'Hey, everyone! Look at my muscles'.
:biggrin:

and those pathetic white slip on lightweight trainers.

Keith Oates

Janner
Don't know the name of them, but the long shorts/short trousers that come half way down the calf muscles, covering a beer belly at the top and thin spindly legs showing from the bottom really look terrible in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keith Oates

Janner
Rigid Raider said:
Okay, so what IS acceptable and stylish for a middle-aged male, oh arbiters of fashion?

Nothing really;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrisKH

Guru
In defence of Crocs they're great for around the pool. But only if you have a Buzz Lightyear and a Mickey Mouse pin in them.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
longers said:
I'm sure you can find some genuine fake ones on the local market for a fraction of the cost.

I will also be wearing socks and sandals if the weather isn't quite right.
(Definately not white socks pulled up to mid calf though - that's really wrong)

Socks and sandels is fashion in Prague. Everyone in sadals had socks on.
Middle aged people who wear 3/4 length shorts with socks on pulled up so that they are above the bottom of the shorts.
Crocs are not so bad if they arent in bright pink. The wooden clogs that the Dutch wear look better.

barq

bobg said:
What... Noticed this last week in the Co-op while getting my paper and just had to check it out when I got home....

That's hilarious! There is a woman a few offices down from mine who seems to wear pyjamas the whole time. Crazy.

Going back to the original point I think a lot of these clothes depend very much on the wearer. I mean frankly Beckham could (and indeed does) get away with wearing virtually anything. However, most of us need to be more careful. :biggrin: That said I reckon plenty of us could pull off the 3/4 length trouser look because we are mostly a pretty fit bunch and our legs do see the light of day for more than just one holiday a year.

walker

Fab Foodie said:
Guess most of us have had a holiday by now.

So, what were some of the worst holiday/summer fashions seen on the beaches and boulevards of the world?

My perrenial faves are:

Football strips (leave them for the stadiums or boys nights in with MOTD)
Anything "Engerland" Logo'd
White trousers on men (How gay is that?)
White swimming trunks (How George Michael is that?)

My new ones:

3/4 length trousers on males over 14 years old who-ever thought that was a good look for fat shaven-head pasty faced 40 some-things?

Crocs...only for children of the Kensington and Chelsea set only...up to the age of 10.

Girls...wearing your pyjama's "out"...oh, puhleease...:biggrin:

Any more offers?

My brother in Law wear's an england Shirt at all times or something with england on it. He just loves the country that much he has imigrated to Australia, he's sent pics over and he is still wearing the bleedin things the fool.

Top Bottom